ibook - stock or custom build

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gravityplan, Apr 8, 2004.

1. gravityplan macrumors newbie

I had been planning on getting a PBG4 but am now thinking of scaling down to an ibook, then trading up a couple years from now when the PBG5 comes of age :D . I have a couple questions:

I have a choice of getting a stock unit through a 3rd party dealer or going with Apple so that I can add bluetooth and a larger HD. Problem is, this means paying a premium as Apple adds $100 sales tax (I'm in CA), so I'd actually be paying $225 extra for the custom features, instead of $125 (the actual cost of the BT and HD). Is this worth it? I know I'd like to have the bigger HD, but is BT going to become one of those "what good is a laptop if it doesn't have it" kind of things within the lifespan of this machine?

Secondly, and on the same topic, why do refurbs always seem to be stock models (or at least that is how they are listed on Apple, SmallDog)? Is there any possibility of getting a refurb that already has BT and a larger HD because the original owner custom built? Is it the luck of the draw and you just order a stock refurb unit and if it has extras its a bonus? :confused:

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

2. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

It all depends on what you want to use the iBook for, if it was me I would upgrade the hard disk ( My iTunes library is more than 15GB), and I would opt for the bluetooth module, especially if you have, or plan to get a bluetooth mobile (cell) phone. I have a bluetooth mouse for my powerbook, which is great.

I live in the UK, some 3rd Party dealers in the UK can get custom builds, you might want to check other dealers and see if they can get you a BTO with the additions that you are after.

3. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

You acknowledge that the iBook is a stop-gap solution until the G5 comes out, though - can you live with the smaller HDD and no built-in Bluetooth for a few years? Even buy a BT adaptor if you want, costing $40. That way, though you have a stock HDD, you havent spend a lot of money on your stop-gap.

Just a thought :)

andy

4. brhmac macrumors regular

The iBook

The iBook is a great machine, especially the 12-inch model -- which also is a great buy. Would definitely add some muscle, though: upgrade the hard drive to 60 gb and bump the ram to 640. Both add less than $200.

Undecided on the Bluetooth module. I have it, but I don't know that I would buy it again.

I took the same approach you've indicated. I need an iBook for occasional mobile use; longer term I want either a G5 iMac or a dual 3.0 PowerMac when they're available.

Money I saved buying the iBook vs the PowerBook went right into this fund. The iBook works very well -- graphics, video and audio editing; needless to say, e-mail, word processing, web surfing are perfect, too.

Happy shopping.

5. xeriminox macrumors newbie

xeriminox

Regarding refurbished purchases, I assue it is a luck of the draw. I recently purchased a refurbished powerbook from apples website. It was advertised as stock, but when I received it, I was pleasently surprised to find that it actually had an 80 GB HD. If you are considering a refurbished, I would certainly recommend it. I was quite concerned about purchasing one myself. My unit was in perfect condition -- no surface scratches or problems whatsoever.

My Fiancee has a G4 iBook and loves it. So, rest assured in which ever route you choose, the machine you receive will be a fine machine and ready to serve until you decide to upgrade!!

6. clownfish macrumors newbie

save more at the Apple On-Line Store

"Problem is, this means paying a premium as Apple adds $100 sales tax"

Why not simply log into Apple's GOVERNMENT store at:
    http://www.apple.com/r/store/government/epp.html

Anyone can use it, Apple never requires proof.

iBook, 14", 640 RAM, 40 gb HD, BT = $1379
    vs $1499 at the regular store. A savings of $120.

CF

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Bought a 12" PB last year from the Apple Store at Tysons. I do regret not doing a custom order a little. I thought a 40GB HDD would be enough. And in some ways it is, if it weren't for my 20GB iPod and the 15GB of music that I now have on my external FW HDD.

I almost bought the iBook, but glad i did the SuperDrive on the PB. And the official 1.25GB of ram will be a nice upgrade later this month or next for myself.

As to Bluetooth, I haven't used it yet. But hope to if Sprint ever gets off its butt and offers something. I am also trying convince my boss to get me the Canon i80 printer and Bluetooth module so that i have wireless printing solution when i make my trip into the office (work from home mostly).

8. dieselg4 macrumors regular

dieselg4

You can always upgrade the HD later, if you really need too

or you can keep your music on your iPod, if you have one. That save ALOT of space.

Personally i'd go for a refurb. Its cheaper. THe only reason I'd go third party is sometimes they'll max out the ram and give you a free printer and shoulder bag for it. If you are going to be buying those things anyway, the savings is more substantial.

I have a BT cell phone and its very handy - i didn't have to transfer all my numbers manually. I only have used it once though, and I prob won't use it again untill i get a new phone.

9. gravityplan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice; it looks like I'll probably go for a refurb and max out the ram. It's good to know you can get an external BT adapter, that puts me at ease. About the ipod: I thought of storing all my music on one (if I had one) as if it were an external drive, but don't you have to have all the same songs on your HD for it to sync, or it'll erase all of your music when you connect to the computer (an antipiracy thing)? I think I heard there are ways around this, but it sounds risky though... better have everything backed up somewhere.