iBook stopped responding

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tub, Apr 7, 2004.

1. tub macrumors newbie

Hi,

i bought an 12" ibook G3 dul USB during december. Up until 2 days ago, It suddenly wouldnt startup. When i press the startup button, I hear the startup tone but no startup screen. I am currently running panther and when it does start up, it will run for about 10 minutes and then freeze. And theres these lines that run across my screen, like scrambled cable, and then from the bottom right of my screen, it turns white, and then it goes all across my screen and by then i would have already shut it off. Im just curious if anyone can diagnose this problem. I used the diagnosed CD that came with the ibook but everything passes. I called apple support but they brushed me off cause i didnt buy the extended service plan, i still have it under warranty though.

iBook Specs are:

12" LCD display
    G3 800 Mghz
    640 RAM
    30 GIG HD
    Mac Os X Panther

thanks

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I'd say buy the warranty plan if you still can. ;)

If you don't mind the cost of phoning them, just do so again and tell them that the entire machine is screwed. They should take it back without giving you trouble if its completely and utterly messed.

Either that, or take it to an Apple Store or reseller. Then they can handle it from there. I've never been to an Apple store since there aren't any in Canada, and there aren't any in Sydney either, but I hear they're quite helpful.

3. big macrumors 65816

big

I do not think I have ever bought a machine and did not reinstall the software right off the bat, I mean a disk format and then reinstall. Can you try this?

4. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

very simple. . .send it in and they will fix it. if your screen hasnt completly stopped yet, it will soon. happened to my iBook G3 . . . almost idetical problem, but works well now!

5. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

yah..it sure sounds like the logic board...Apple would replace it..
    cheers

6. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

I can almost guarantee it's the logic board. I've had the same problem...3 times. I'm on my 4th board, and I think it will be my last. I haven't had any problems for a year (knock on wood).

7. tuftywhite macrumors member

iBook stopped responding

Mine did that sometime ago. I shut it down by holding the on button and waiting until it had switched off. Then I reset the PRAM: This is done by pressing the On button whilst holding down (simultaneously) Command+Option+P+R keys and wait for the 3rd chime, then release.

This sorted mine and I haven't had any problems since.

I hope this helps.

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

You can try resetting the PRAM and firmware as previously suggested, but this really sounds like a dead logic board. Take out any non-Apple RAM you have, just to be sure (and Apple will ask you to anyway) and call AppleCare.