ibook superdrive?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by thoff, Feb 9, 2005.

1. thoff macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I've been reading in these forums for quite some time now and figured I'd finally post something.

My computing needs are relatively modest (as is my budget) so I've been looking at the 12" iBook. The only thing that deters me is the lack of a Superdrive. Do you think the next revision of the iBook will have a Superdrive in the 12" model, at least as a BTO?

Thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I personally wouldn't hold my breath, but you never know. There were superdrives in different places in the line the last few times the iBook was updated and they haven't gone into the 12"... a lot of people theorize that the 12" doesn't have this option to provide some distance between it and the 12" PB, especially since the latter is relatively weak compared to the bigger PBs (although still more powerful in some key ways than the 12" iBook). And the 12" PB was just updated and hasn't changed all that much. So unless the PB gets some major upgrades, probably not. You might consider a used 12" PB as an alternative. Sorry! :(

Your other option might be to get a used 12" iBook, so that you don't feel like you've outlaid so much cash, and then sell and upgrade later if you really dislike the lack of a superdrive. Hmmm?

3. thoff thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the prompt response. I have time to wait as I don't need a new computer untill I head back to gradschool, at the earliest this fall. We'll see what happens. I hadn't thought of used or refurbs.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No problem! Go to Apple's store website, and sign in as an educational customer, and then look at the lower left or right for an image of a red sales tag. It's a link to the refurbs section of the store. What they have there is really variable, but when they have things (PB 12" included), the deals are usually pretty good. Good luck! :)

I bought my comptuer in December before starting grad school in September the next year, and if I had waited a month or two, I would have Office 2004 instead of .X, and probably a faster computer.... But then again, I had all the fun of exploring the Mac world during those months. ;) So its a tradeoff.

What kind of grad school, if you don't mind my asking? I studied engineering originally, but I didn't find the work I did rewarding after school, and I'm studying towards a PhD in clinical psychology at the moment. So far its been a blast, at least mostly.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There are companies who will put superdrives into 12 inch iBooks for you. I can't think of any names off the top of my head but give Google a go. I've been thinking of following this up with my iBook but from memory they're pretty expensive unless you live in the States. It might be cheaper to just get an old PowerBook.

6. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502