iBook to DVD help

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by big, Sep 26, 2002.

1. big macrumors 65816

big

ok ,iBook issues-

I plug iBook into VCR, VCR into TV....
    (iBook case is shut)
    now open iBook case, Tscreen goes away, iBook desktop pops up.
    insert DVD
    try to play DVD, screen goes blue, sound still on
    screen comes back to DVD picture, sound still on
    30 secs, screen goes blue, sound still on
    10 secs screen back to DVD picture, sound still on
    etc etc etc....

get frustrated, turn off DVD...sometimes it still does it in finder, sometimes not
    what am I doing wrong?

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Don't close it when you plug it in. Leave it open while you plug it in, and it should take care of the problem.

3. big thread starter macrumors 65816

big

4. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

copy protection gone awry. i dont remember the fix offhand...more to come later.

5. big thread starter macrumors 65816

big

see, that's what I thought, though It use to only do it with certain DVD's I rented...now it appears to do it with any DVD, even when there's no DVD in the drive....

the screen will be fine for 30 secs, then slowly start fading (as if to go dark, but only %10 darkenss) then turn all blue for 5 secs, then bavk to normal for 30 secs....

it's like some odd refresh rate thing or maybe Im getting feedback from my VCR now?

Ugg, this sucks. I might have to buy an actual DVD player

6. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Welcome to Macrovision

What you have described is Macrovision, the copy protection sceme used on all Pre- Recorded Video Tapes, and an ever increasing number of DVDs.

Sad news is... A new DVD player won't help. There are ways around this ancient technology though. In the short term, I suggest that you bypass the VCR, and find a way to connect the iBook directly into the TV.

If your TV does not have video jacks, Walmart sells an RF converter to connect the two for about $20.

Hope this helps.

7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

ahh gj

forgot about macrovision. lol

i know there are many pc programs to disable macrovision from being output, you may be able to find one for OS X.

8. big thread starter macrumors 65816

big

OH! I get it, they don't want me to make tapes of DVD's....(I could rent them then huh?) Jeez, I'm to much of a goody to shoes now! I couldn't even come up with a scam myself like that!

oh well, but why would it not work for just the finder? Is this something Apple is doing then? did you know you could not take pictures of a DVD while it was playing (using option + shift + 4)?

I thought that was reallllly odd...

9. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

yeah...

I have a Key Lime iBook (466mhz 10GB 320mb RAM, FW Special Edition) and I would love to take pictures of a DVD movie frame and save it as my desktop, that would be awsome!!! Does it work with the oldest version of Apple DVD Player. Like ther version that came with, I think it was Mac OS System 8.5. Is there a third-party program that will let u do it? ALSO! When I play Connectix Virtial Game Station (CVGS) The game won't appear on the TV and there is just black. I wonder why... I want to play my PSX games on a bigger screen then 12.1! loll :D Any help?

10. dricci macrumors 6502a

Re: yeah...

Sure, buy a Playstation :)

Seriously, I've seen used PSones for under $50.

11. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I have one...

I have a PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2, I just want to...ummm how may I say this.... RECORD!!! My battles, replays, movies, and great game moments on tape, I've done this with my Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, Sega CD, and Sega Dreamcast, and I think with Nintendo GameCube. I'll give you an example why I do this... When I beat Sonic Adventure 2 for the first time I didn't really watch the whole thing, the dam doorbell rang and the phone did too. Luckly I taped it, I also like taping GTA3, those police chases kick!!!