ibook to pc wireless internet help please

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by annelize, Sep 7, 2004.

1. annelize macrumors newbie

Hi I just received my ibook g4 with airport extreme card installed. I want to connect to my wireless internet connection on my windows xp computer. I'm having trouble though, and dont' really understand why.

I have comcast broadband internet, and a netgear 108mbps wireless firewall router (product #wgt624na). Do i need anything else? Do i need an airport base station thing?

if i don't, why am i not able to access the internet? I would appreciate help. I've already read a ton of posts regarding this and they just don't seem to be helping. Thanks.

2. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Is your Airport enabled ? Have you set a network name and password ?

3. annelize thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't know. how do i check that?
    besides, i had already been connected to a network and then it keeps un-connecting. and even when i'm connected to the network i still can't use the internet.

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

To get the wifi working you need to set a few things.....

The Netgear router needs to have the WLAN enabled, and you need to make sure the ssid, channel, and WEP keys set up on the Netgear are also set the same in your iBook. You could try getting it going without WEP enabled, which is a bit simpler, and then when it's running OK enable WEP and configure it.

If you have it working on your LAN but not the internet, it's usually a DNS problem.

5. annelize thread starter macrumors newbie

to blodwyn

i have no idea what you just said. but thanks anyway, i guess.

6. annelize thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your help. I figured it out - i just had to add my MAC address to my router. now i am happy.