ibook to powerbook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tedwin, Mar 24, 2004.

1. tedwin macrumors newbie

Please could someone tell me what I have missed?
    Have attempted to copy World Book 2003 from my wifes ibook onto my powerbook via ethernet crossover cable. As far as I can tell I have copied across each and every file that contains the words "world book" to its correct position in my opertaing system (Apps, Library, Screen Savers etc) but it refuses to open. It says I have a folder or file missing.
    Any Ideas?

2. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Make it in to a .Toast... burn it...wallaa ...the problem is the hidden files?

3. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

You could just install it onto the PowerBook using the Software Restore CD that came with the iBook. Also, what is an "ethernet crossover cable." I've been trying to figure out how to transfer files between two Macs, other than the FireWire solution. How did you do it?

4. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

I had a similar problem when I did an archive and install of my system. It has a couple of extensions it puts in the system. Luckily I recorded what they were when I found them. Say the hard disk is called 'Macintosh HD', then the files you need are at:

Macintosh HD/Library/Components/FileInputUnit.component
    Macintosh HD/Library/Components/TimeAdapterUnit.component
    Macintosh HD/Library/Frameworks/SMKExtensions.framework
    Macintosh HD/Library/Frameworks/WBHomeScreen.framework
    Macintosh HD/Library/Frameworks/WBMediaProvider.framework

Of course the developers could have made it much easier by saying what files were missing in the error message. :rolleyes:

5. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

An ethernet cross-over cable is a cable where two of the wires in the cable are swapped in position, allowing you to use the cable to directly connect two ethernet devices without needing to go through a hub or a switch first.

However, the ethernet port on PowerBooks and PowerMacs at least (not sure about iBooks...) is autosensing...the ethernet adapter itself can detect what it is plugged into (ie: a switch/hub or directly to another Mac), and will adjust the signal accordingly, alleviating the need to carry around a specially made cross-over ethernet cable. You should be able to set up a mini-LAN just by directly connecting two Macs together via their ethernet ports.

My knowledge of this is only theoretical...I've never actually made a direct ethernet-ethernet network on a Mac using a regular ethernet cable. Can anyone who has done this comment?

6. tedwin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou

Thanks HexMonkey.

I bought the ethernet crossover cable because even though you can connect between ibooks and powerbooks with a normal cable I wanted to be able connect to my friends IBM thinkpad (excellent way of finding hidden files)
    Couldn't be easier, make sure that you have ticked file sharing, remote login and ftp access in the sharing panel of system prefs. Turn of firewall (i did anyway!) then join up the macs and click on GO then click connect to server.
    I did try using the CD's but when put in the powerbook it seems to know that they where not made for this computer. And refuse to offer up anything useful.

By the way, Hexmonkey, I am moving to New Zealand this year. I am also planning on getting a new mac. When I looked at the apple nz site it said I couldn't order direct from apple. Does this mean that you get to order via the USA store and pay USA prices?

7. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Good to hear that we'll have another Mac user in our country! ;)

AFAIK you can't buy from the US Apple store in NZ. Apple purchases in NZ come through Apple Australia, so thanks to them prices in both Australia and NZ are ridiculously high :(. Of course, if you know someone in the US you can get them to ship you a Mac for a considerably lower price a lot of the time.

Also note that the NZ online Apple store will be coming soon at http://www.apple.co.nz/store/.

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I have last week. We used it so that my broadband-equipped buddy could give me UT2004 demo. It is nice, and we used a regular ethernet cable.

9. dierk macrumors newbie

powerlogix upgrade

i bought an upgrade g3/900 from powerlogix for my pismo. very fast, 1gb ram.
    second screen, card slot, 40 gb hd and so on. 500 $ for all (without pismo for sure)! i love it till g5 powerbook reaches the resellers.

dierk

10. rarora macrumors member

panther to panther

i'm trying to do the same thing, but directly connect two panther Ti powerbooks. Is it as simple as 'Connect to server'? Keep in mind, neither of the machines will have an IP address (no networking device is in between them).