ibook too hot

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Hakkinen, May 29, 2004.

1. Hakkinen macrumors member

Yesterday I tried putting rubber bumpers on 4 corners of my ibook. The rear end is higher so to make the ibook tilt. I was thinking the extra gap underneath can help dissipate heat. But I was wrong. Just now the cooling fan in my ibook G4 1.2GHZ 14" turned on for 16 minutes.

One thing too, my battery charger/adapter is super hot. Is this normal?
    I remembered the last few times i use, it was just slight warm. But 2nd time today the adapter is super hot. Makes me feel smoke may come out anytime now.

I am only browsing the web. All are just html content with no flash or movies.

2. brap macrumors 68000

Yes, you can fry eggs on top of the power adapter sometimes. Alternately, it's good for keeping your feet warm on cold winter evenings. Just don't put it on top of anything easily combustible...

3. wide macrumors 6502a

what is your ibook's temperature and your AC adapter's temp, because computer can get really really hot so that you think it is a defect even when it is not. try getting one of those electric thermometers, or you could stab your ibook with a meat thermometer that might work too.

4. Hakkinen thread starter macrumors member

the power adapter's temperature now is lower than half hour ago. At this moment, it is something like 96F.
    I bet just now it was over 100F because it was so hot!

5. wide macrumors 6502a

hmmm my dell's power adapter is never too hot...buy i don't think 96 degrees is a problem, it's below the average human body temp. if it overheats again, you might want to consider taking it into an applestore. i'm not really an expert on this kind of thing.. i do hope you can fix it though. good luck!

6. Hakkinen thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, i will see it is still very hot this 2 days.
    If so, will call up apple to find out. Hopefully they can give me a good answer....probably replace my adapter too :)
    Chances are they may tell me its normal for adapter to get really hot.