ibook track pad problem in 10.3.7

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Johnbmx26, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Johnbmx26 macrumors newbie

Dec 30, 2004
    I just got a new ibook a couple weeks ago, and upgrade to 10.3.7 today. After it finished and it said to restart, now when i turn on the computer, it says System extension cannot be used "/library/estensions/scrollpad/appleADBMouse.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Now whenever I touch the track pad, an error pops up, and says i have to restart. Also, in system preferences in the mouse and keyboard icon, there is no longer a track pad tab. Right now, im using a usb mouse which works fine.

I tried downgrading back to 10.3.6 but it says I can't because I have 10.3.7 installed.

Anyone know whats wrong?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Not *sure* that it'll solve your problem, but solution one is to try repairing permissions... because it appears that the application can't use that file for some reason. If you don't know how:

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest the file is actually corrupted. I can probably give you a copy of mine and tell you what permissions it's supposed to have.
  3. Johnbmx26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 30, 2004
  4. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    Use the installer CD or DVD's that came with your iBook. That should get it to a factory install. :)
  5. Johnbmx26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 30, 2004
    it's wont reinstall without completely erasing the hd.
  6. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    not if you archive install.
    But did repairing permissions not work?
    And have you installed some new ram in addition to 10.3.7 upgrade?
  7. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hmm. Were there errors in the upgrade? Like did it completely finish without saying anything went wrong, or did it end prematurely? I don't know of any way to simply downgrade to a older version, such as 10.3.7 to 10.3.6 as you said, so I think you're going to have to use the CDs. Like abhishekit said, an "Archive and Install" will leave your User folders, data, and that type of thing alone, and will just reinstall the "base" system stuff. The downside, though, is that I think it also gets rid of all your upgrades. Like iTunes would go back to 4.0, etc.