Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnbmx26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Hey,
I just got a new ibook a couple weeks ago, and upgrade to 10.3.7 today. After it finished and it said to restart, now when i turn on the computer, it says System extension cannot be used "/library/estensions/scrollpad/appleADBMouse.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Now whenever I touch the track pad, an error pops up, and says i have to restart. Also, in system preferences in the mouse and keyboard icon, there is no longer a track pad tab. Right now, im using a usb mouse which works fine.

I tried downgrading back to 10.3.6 but it says I can't because I have 10.3.7 installed.

Anyone know whats wrong?

Thanks,
John

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Not *sure* that it'll solve your problem, but solution one is to try repairing permissions... because it appears that the application can't use that file for some reason. If you don't know how:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/89736/

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest the file is actually corrupted. I can probably give you a copy of mine and tell you what permissions it's supposed to have.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Johnbmx26 said:
it's wont reinstall without completely erasing the hd.
not if you archive install.
But did repairing permissions not work?
And have you installed some new ram in addition to 10.3.7 upgrade?

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Johnbmx26 said:
Hey,
I just got a new ibook a couple weeks ago, and upgrade to 10.3.7 today. After it finished and it said to restart, now when i turn on the computer, it says System extension cannot be used "/library/estensions/scrollpad/appleADBMouse.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Now whenever I touch the track pad, an error pops up, and says i have to restart. Also, in system preferences in the mouse and keyboard icon, there is no longer a track pad tab. Right now, im using a usb mouse which works fine.

I tried downgrading back to 10.3.6 but it says I can't because I have 10.3.7 installed.

Anyone know whats wrong?

Thanks,
John
Hmm. Were there errors in the upgrade? Like did it completely finish without saying anything went wrong, or did it end prematurely? I don't know of any way to simply downgrade to a older version, such as 10.3.7 to 10.3.6 as you said, so I think you're going to have to use the CDs. Like abhishekit said, an "Archive and Install" will leave your User folders, data, and that type of thing alone, and will just reinstall the "base" system stuff. The downside, though, is that I think it also gets rid of all your upgrades. Like iTunes would go back to 4.0, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.