ibook trackpad problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by QCassidy352, Oct 22, 2005.

1. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

my 12" ibook has a problem that I'm afraid I caused. In trying to clean the hand rests with a moist and soapy cloth, I'm afraid that some soap may have gotten in to the cracks around the trackpad. :-o

Now, when I tap on the trackpad - I don't mean click it, but just tap it gently - there's a little sound, like a soft click or crunch. I'm wondering if there's somehow dried soap there which is making the sound, and if so, if there's any way to clean it. Is it possible to remove the trackpad button or otherwise get under there to check and see if anything is there? :-(

2. macrumors 68020

This happened to my PowerBook with a few drops of Mountain Dew. :eek:

With the machine off, I very very very carefully used a damp cloth to allow some clean water into the area where I heard the sound. Not more than a few drops! Press on the button repeatedly and try to cleanse it like this.

I also recommend never using soapy water again. :eek: I use iKlear.

3. macrumors 603

OutThere

Let it dry thoroughly before getting it any more wet, and see if it goes away, it could very well still be damp in there.

I'd stay away from using soap, go with a http://housekeeping.about.com/od/productreviews/gr/mrcleanmagicer.htm They work great! :)

4. Moderator emeritus

devilot

I agree... I've seen Apple employees using iKlear and well, I like it. :p I'd be a bit wary of the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, but that's just me I guess. I couldn't live w/ myself if I goofed and ruined my $$$ laptop. :eek:

5. thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

oh, believe me, I'm done with the soap! It's good to hear that this happened to someone else and was fixable. iKlear is a great suggestion - I'll try that. Thanks!

6. thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

booo the pure water didn't work! The click is still there. :( Maybe when the water dries it will be better...

there's no way to take that button off, right? :(

7. macrumors 603

OutThere

It's basically just a really dense sponge that you dampen slightly...no special chemicals or buckets of water involved :)

8. macrumors 68020

After I cleaned mine the button would still make a "double-click" noise until I broke it in some more (it's gone now), but the friction sound was gone.

Use your button for awhile and see if it gets better?

9. thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I think maybe mine has always been like a kind of "double click" sound... hard to describe, but it's more like a click than friction.

I actually think the water may have made the noise worse. But maybe that means that when it all eventually dries it will go away entirely?

Oh, this kind of thing drives me crazy!