Ibook - UK Keyboard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by netytan, May 29, 2004.

1. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Hey guys, me again :D

Anyway i'm currently taking a year out in Australia, and seriously considering getting myself a new Ibook untill i get home and have saved enough money for the new Powerbook *drules*.

The two things thats currently conserning me are...

1. the power-supply
    2. the keyboard lang

The first one I can probably deal with since it's easy enough to get an adapter or replacment but what about the keyboard!

So my question is really - do Macs in the UK come with the UK keyboard layout or do all Mac keyboards come with American style Keyboard layout?

Thanks in advance!

Mark.

2. surfsofa macrumors member

UK laptops

UK Apple laptops come with UK keyboards. There are a few small differences but it doesn't take long to adjust. The main one for me is the return key which is 'wide' on US keyboards and 'tall' on UK ones. I've used both on Apple laptops and actually find the US one preferable for my typing style.

Power is no issue - adapters are universal.

HTH

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    the only thing you might have trouble with is the outlets; but thats easy to by pass just by a universal adapter set

4. netytan thread starter macrumors 6502

netytan

Ah, thats... well, good and bad i guess. Good cos it means i wont have to use the american style keyboard. Bad because now i have to see if i can get hold of a UK keyboard in Oz lol. I'll give there helpline and a few shops a call. Thanks guys!

Oh, if anyone has a picture of one of the UK keyboards that would be great!!! Can't find any on google :(

Mark.

5. OziMac macrumors 6502

You're in Australia and you're worried about the keyboard language?

It's not like they're in zulu, or that we swap the y and z keys...

6. netytan thread starter macrumors 6502

netytan

LOL i know this, its just what i'm used too. And when i get home i will be exposed to the world of UK Keyboards again. Not pretty if i've been using these for a year ;). Only just getting used to typing on this thing now :D.

But if i cant get one i'll just go with the American style keyboard - though i'd prefer the other.

Mark.

7. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

The only differences that I have personally noticed between UK and US keyboards are:

Position of some periphery keys (eg. ~, § ...)
    Currency Keys/Numbers (On my 3 key I have a £ sign, but I can change layout to make shift-3 make a $ sign).
    The issue mentioned above about the shape of the 'return' key.

8. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Apple keyboards on the UK versions of their computers and laptops are not true uk keyboards anyway, they just have the correct currency symbols.

on a proper uk keyboard the " symbol is shift 2, not under the [ symbol on apple's keyboards, that is where the @ symbol is etc.. etc..

I just wouldn't worry about the uk keyboard layout just buy a ibook in oz and enjoy it, when u get back in the uk select the keyboard layout and use the $ symbol for £ :p

9. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

1) keyboard : US, UK, Irish and Australian are in practise the same. Differences are $¢£€ locations, jsut those.

2) just get a travel adapter. apples work with any current btw 100 and 258 V.

10. wide macrumors 6502a

Isn't there a way to take off the American style outlet plugs on Apple's more recent adapters and replace it with a different style plug? I did this to my iPod's adapter one time but then put it back because I figured I was going to break it :(

11. netytan thread starter macrumors 6502

netytan

Indeed there is - apple actually sells a bunch of adapters for the new power supply which works with Ipods, Ibooks and Powerbooks!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...1PttTbsI2GY93yHEdD5ahYF/2.3.0.5.10.3.5.1.13.0

Ok guys, so on an American style keyboard how exactly do you get to the GBP, euro signs etc? If you can access these through the american keyboard (all be it less easily) then my worries are over :D

Mark.