ibook unable to conect to wireless netgear

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Sharyn, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Sharyn macrumors newbie

Mar 25, 2005
    Hi - I am a brand new apple owner. I must admit I am a little nervous of the unknown. I am desperately trying to connect my ibook G4 to get a wireless connection from my Netgear wireless router. The router is connected to a cable modem windows pc and there is another windows pc in the house that is wirelessly connected to the router. No matter what I do I can't get the ibook to connect to the router. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. john1123 macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2005
    Down Under
    usually, you only have to turn on airport by clickin on the symbol in the menubar, then select your network and enter the password (if you have one).

In case that your network doesn't appear in the airport menu, you might have turned the SSID (broadcasts your network name). Click on 'other...', enter your network name and password and you should be ready to go.

to find out your router password/name, go to (if you havent' changed the default options), enter your username 'admin' and password 'password' (again if you haven't changed the default), go to 'wireless settings' and there should be everything you need.
  3. Sharyn thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 25, 2005
    Apple Extreme Base Station

Do I need to connect an Apple Extreme Base Station to my Netgear wireless router? I presently do not have an Apple base station.

Thank you,

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    No you do not. Make sure you follow your router's instructions on connection. Check the Netgear website for help.
  5. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2005
    If you dont see the network in the upper right hand bar, then your airport card may not be installed correctly.

Same thing happened to my cousins.
  6. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    How is your wireless router set up? I would hope you have SSID broadcast off, access control enabled, and at least WEP encryption. All these would prevent connection from an unknown computer.

It's not an insulting question to ask. I tried for a couple of hours to connect another PC to my Netgear wireless router, before I realised I had access control turned on, so the router wouldn't accept any connections.
  7. Sharyn thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 25, 2005

I'm okay with dumb questions. I do have all that stuff set up (web encription, etc.). Here is the senerio: windows based p.c. hooked up directly to the Netgear router, 2nd windows based computer hooked up wirelessly to the router.
    What I don't understand is if I can get one computer to hook up wirelessly why can't I get the mac ibook to hook up wirelessly?

8. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2003
    because netgear are the worst routers made. make sure you have certain features turned off on the router like the 108Mbps thingy and any other software type "boost". These are not standards and can cause trouble for computers connecting. I have a netgear as well and all that crap is turned off and i have a mixed network that connects fine. In fact my airport will connect WAY before the pcs that contain a netgear specific connection software.go figure
  9. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    I would take it one step at a time. Turn off the MAC access control. If that doesn't fix anything, turn off WEP encryption, then SSID broadcast.

Once you get a connect, you can add your Mac's MAC to the access control list, then set up encryption using the routers key, and turn on all the security again.

By the way, I have a Netgear router and have to use WEP encryption since I couldn't get WPA working with my Thinkpad, which has a network card from a different manufacturer.
  10. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    Please!!! Netgear doesn't make the worst routers. I've used Netgear routers for quite a while and have never had a problem. Just because other manufacturers don't support some proprietary enhancements doesn't make Netgear lousy. I've seen the same from Belkin and Linksys as well.