iBook update anticipation is killing me!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tylersail, Mar 2, 2005.

  1. tylersail macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2005
    Location:
    Geneva, IL
    #1
    Well it has been a long five years with my iBook SE 366mhz 192meg ram, but not a rough one. I've updated to panther, only stopped updating programs when apple began making it necessary to have a 1064x768 resolution, and have made and edited movies (even though it is SO slow). But, it's getting annoying being two "G's" behind the times. So, I have been looking at the iBooks, and realize an update MUST be soon, but how soon? If anyone has any info regarding an update besides the G5 contracts help me out. Thanks.
     
  2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

    miloblithe

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #2
    I'd expect a very minor update in April or May.
     
  3. James L macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2004
    #3
    Yup... it was April 19th last year, I think in May the year before that. Check the buyers guide.
     
  4. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

    mcgarry

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2004
    #4
    The two previous posters may be right, but ... if Apple is planning a major revision for the PBs next time that line is changed, they may wait to update the iBooks until then or later to not risk having the lines appear too close, as they did to so many from November-January and as they still do to some today.

    I have no hard evidence either way, and I don't even know how much I believe what I wrote above, I just think this is something worth considering: the wait for new iBooks might be long.
     
  5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

    Mechcozmo

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2004
    #5
    \

    So you got a pre-release of Tiger? Or do you mean Panther?

    Tiger isn't expected to run well on machines like yours, BTW.

    I don't think that there are going to be many iBook updates aside from maybe a minor speedbump. Don't hold your breath.
     
  6. runninmac macrumors 65816

    runninmac

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    Location:
    Rockford MI
    #6
    It seems like people are siguesting may/ april but i think that it will probobly get updated at WWDC thats in june i think june 6th or 10th it starts. But then again WWDC is a geared more towards the Pros.(i think)

    PS: 100th Post whoo!
     
  7. johnny_boy9 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #7
    I too am waiting. I will place an order for my first Apple computer the day they update the iBook. I just don't want to get one now only for them to update it a month later. It would kill me.
     
  8. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

    CaptainCaveMann

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2004
    #8
    Jeez it seems like yesterday the ibook was just updated. Anyway, id really like to see a better video card. Im thinking a ati 9200 64 if there is such a thing. Or the fx go 5200 and upgrade the video card in the 12 inch pb. Anything to get the video ram up to 64. Thats my biggest gripe. Also maybe put the 14 inch on a diet.
     
  9. johnny_boy9 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #9
    Does anyone think they're is any possability they would add an SD card slot or something similar to the iBook? That would be very handy.
     
  10. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2003
    #10
    I'll soon be in the market for another iBook -- mine is almost two years old but has taken a lot of crap as a college notetaking computer. I'm waiting for academic discount to come back at July 1, though, along with (hopefully) Tiger.
     
  11. zimtheinvader macrumors regular

    zimtheinvader

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2005
    Location:
    the capitol
    #11
    I can't see Apple adding an SD or other specific slot, (relatively) few computers have them plus with constantly evolving memory storage devices it seems maybe a bit of a gimmick. Why not just use an SD-USB reader anyway? Most new photo technologies are focused on direct-usb printing anyway, since the camera already features an SD reader.
     
  12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

    Mitthrawnuruodo

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2004
    Location:
    Bergen, Norway
    #12
    I'm waiting for Tiger before I'll get me another iBook... and a paying job so I can afford to crack my savings... ;)

    Although a G5 or Cell would be nice I'm quite happy with just some moderate improvements:
    * Superdrive option on the 12" (when they fit it into a mini, then come on...)
    * Bigger HD BTO (100 or even 120 GB would be nice for my expanding iTunes library)
    * 512 MB RAM built-in, one free slot (where I'll put another 3d party 512 MB stick)
    * Standard bulit-in Bluetooth (2.0+EDR)
     
  13. jbrjake macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #13
    IMO, it's gonna be awhile. The iBook was actually updated pretty recently. Only more recent updates were xServes and PBooks. (iPods don't count since they are a separate division from Mac hardware nowadays)

    Before that, expect updates or EOL for the eMac, a speed bump and maybe bluetooth 2.0 for the iMac, and *something* happening with the PowerMacs. I'd expect a new 17" cinema display first too.

    None of these things are required for Apple to update the iBook line, but in the past year or two, Apple's really started spreading out its updates. I imagine it's related to the run-up in the stock...you've got to beat expectations every quarter. That means surprising people all the time. It's like bloggers who line up posts in advance but only publish one a day. I'm waiting for a PowerMac, me'self, and because of that I'm been obsessively reading ever rumor site/forum. From that, I get that the refreshes I listed above are queued up.

    I haven't read a thing about an iBook update. With the GPU they got in October, they're already set for Tiger, so I don't think that would be an impetus either. My guess? Either they'll stay where they are until a G5 can be crammed into a PowerBook (not any time soon), or Apple will come out with a modest bump (a la last month's alBooks) in time for the mid-summer .edu rush.
     
  14. jbrjake macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #14
    Plus at least two major flash memory manufacturers have this year premiered SD cards with built-in USB ports, cutting out the media-reader middle-man.
     
  15. vtprinz macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2004
    #15
    Don't hold your breath. Apple's power line is stalling out at the moment, and it's going to hold back the i lines as well. One of the reasons for the last powerbook bump was that the ibooks were getting too close on the pb's tail, and people were losing the justification to buy the more expensive pb's. If they update ibooks too soon, they'll be right back in the same position.

    Besides, there are 2 or 3 other products that should hopefully be ahead of the ibook in the product lineup.

    I'd say buy now. You probably have 2-3 months before an update. Is it worth the pain of waiting that long?
     
  16. Yvan256 macrumors 601

    Yvan256

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2004
    Location:
    Canada
    #16
    If it was may, then april, doesn't that mean march for 2005? :D

    I'm waiting for the update myself...
     
  17. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2005
    Location:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    #17
    There was a bump in the iBook line last October. I would be surprised to see something hit in this line before Tiger is released. Apple needs to address the video issue in the iBook and it would be odd to do it before they release Tiger. There is certainly a lot they could do but if you have a G4 already you can do most of it yourself (with the major exception of the video card.) For a minor speed bump it is difficult to sink another $1000 into a system. If you want a superdrive in a 12 inch you can add it for $100. You can easily do the same with the hard drive. The one in the late models is pretty small and slow and you will notice a difference with a larger/faster drive. That's another inexpensive option that will add a lot of life to your system. If you already have one, keep it and upgrade it until a major revision is released. Depending on the video card issue, that may be justifiable.

    Coming from the PC world where GHz is all the rage ... let me tell you it really isn't the answer. My 2Ghz AMD 64 runs circles around a 3.4 Pentium 4 with Hyperthread technology. There are other factors that contribute to good overall performance. I'd suggest waiting just a bit longer if you already have one. If you don't have one ... what are you waiting for? Quick, order one right now. :)
     
  18. aswitcher macrumors 603

    aswitcher

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2003
    Location:
    Canberra OZ
    #18
    I am hoping its more than a slight bump. Assuming G5 is going to happen this year there's room for Apple to bring out a new form factor with a shell in the feel and look of the ipod mini, to reintroduce colour to a mac line (and keep the white for schools). I think this would be a nice upgrade when we know they can't push too high yet because it would compete too much with the powerbooks.
     
  19. timmyb macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2005
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #19
    12" iBooks now have shipping time of 3 days in the UK and US. Is this a sign of a boost to the 12" inch range?
     
  20. Chrispy macrumors 68020

    Chrispy

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2004
    Location:
    Avon, IN
    #20
    If I was to guess I would say the stock is just low. However given the model that is being delayed maybe they are going to increase the CPU to 1.33GHz on the 12" and up the HD to 40 or 60GB. Just a guess tho :cool:
     
  21. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

    CaptainCaveMann

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2004
    #21
    If you say that about the ibook be aware your also talking about the newly released mac mini. They have the same video card. So are you saying apple has to upgrade the mac mini video card before tiger is released? Seems odd they would release hardware such as the mac mini that wouldnt be complient with the next generation os. I mean come on. People who are buying ibooks are most likely not going to be using core image anyway. If your a hard core video/photo editor then you buy a powerbook.
     
  22. MacSA macrumors 68000

    MacSA

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    UK
    #22
    I have a feeling that iBooks won't see an update this side of WWDC :( - at least not until the Powerbooks receive a MAJOR revision. We'll have to see what happens next month though. There's not alot they could add without them treading on the Powerbook's toes once again.
     
  23. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2005
    Location:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    #23
    It does seems odd and I wish it weren't at least potentially true. I think if it goes this way there will be a lot of people who just purchased who will be upset. From what I understand about Tiger though is most everything will work just fine on these machines. There will be some software applications that will take advantage of core imaging but for the most part the average user of a mac mini or iBook is not concerned with this. I love my little iBook and plan on dragging as much life out of it as I possibly can. It's a great little machine! This is my third laptop (first Mac) and I can't say I've ever considered this with one in the past. My sister-in-law has the 12" PowerBook and for style reasons, I'm glad I went with the iBook. My last laptop was an aluminum model and I was growing tired of the all metal look. For the money, this machine is amazing ... and it looks great too.
     

Share This Page