Ibook Update... When?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jonomo, Apr 28, 2005.

  1. jonomo macrumors regular

    Apr 28, 2005
    I see alot of speculation on the specs of the new Ibook. But I would like to know when this might happen. I wanna buy one, but i dont' wanna get shafted by an upgrade that might happen next week!!! :confused:
  2. admanimal macrumors 68040

    Apr 22, 2005
    Very unlikely that they will be updated next week. The current models are all back to shipping same day.
  3. sjpetry macrumors 65816


    Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
    Buy it now, enjoy it now. And stop worrying about it.

    Life's easier that way. ;) :)

    Technology moves so fast you're always out of date.
  4. Caramel macrumors newbie

    Mar 19, 2005

    I agree 100%
  5. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816


    Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    I am going to disagree with what's been said - more for your money is better and an update seems close to inevitable as it's been seven or eight months. I know you can't try to be up-to-date all of the time... but it's best to wait a little while (month even) because the new ones will almost definately be out SOON.
  6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Even if they are updated next week, you won't really be shafted. At best, they'll have a GPU capable of a little more eyecandy in Tiger but that's really pretty useless IMO. Well, it's not really worth waiting for considering we don't actually know when they're coming anyway.

    Grab it when you want it. :)
  7. ibookowner2 macrumors regular


    Mar 29, 2005

    buying it now would not really make a difference, because even if new updates are released theres a good chance that it probably wont be very big ones.
  8. shady28 macrumors member

    Mar 27, 2005

    Take note that the 12" iBook G4 1.2Ghz is selling for $799 on the deals sections on apple's website (Apple certified). It's a refurb, but it has a full warranty and full software bundle. That is probably the best deal you are going to find in an iBook for some time. Take the $200 savings and pop a 1Gig SODIMM in there and you're set (that's the setup im using right now).

    Any update to the iBook in the next month or so is bound to be minimal. At most, the baseline will go to 1.33Ghz G4 with a GF5200 graphics card, neither of which is a really significant upgrade. However, I *really* don't expect to see that happen since the iBook 12" would then essentially become equivalent to the 12" Powerbook.
  9. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a


    Dec 13, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Take note, however, that the $799 ibook in the deals section (as of 5 minutes ago, anyway) does not have a combo drive-- it is a CD drive only; such that if you upgrade it to Tiger you'd have to send in for the CDs (Tiger is only sold on DVD) plus you can't watch movies on it. Note that that model originally cost $899.

    As someone who is (was?) planning to buy a new 12" ibook when and if it is released, here's may take on the no-upgrade news: Most ibook buyers aren't as up on things as we MacRumors readers/ posters. Those of us who are aware of rumors and are, for example, waiting for extra ram and a core video programmable video card in the ibook, are a distinct minority. Apple's message to people like us is "Buy a powerbook." I'm tired of waiting, and I just might do it. Probably good for apple. :(
  10. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a


    Sep 19, 2004
    I have never ever ever understood this point of view. The iBook has been updated on a six monthly cycle for ages, and a refresh is coming up.

    At the very least, an update is going to mean more bang for your buck, and maybe it'll even offer more bang for less money - it's happened before.

    When there's a likely matter of months to a refresh, you're right that it's not worth worrying - but all sources and precedent suggest that there should be no more than a couple of weeks. In my view it would be nothing short of foolish to pay full retail price for a model that's going to be superseded in a matter of days.
  11. metsfan489 macrumors member

    Jan 31, 2005
    There is not enough room between the iBook and the Powerbooks in terms of speeds to make any upgrade without tripping over the powerbook. If they upgrade the powerbook at WWDC (which is a possibility) we will see a major upgrade at Paris for the iBook with a total redesign of the case. They have been using that case for a while now and its time for an update.

    So your probably safe getting one now, but to be sure I would wait a week or two.

    thequicksilver: Also, what sources point to an iBook upgrade. We have heard nothing at all from thinksecret and only one rumor from an appleinsider article. The macrumors buying guide is based on previous data so when apple is being a bit unpredictable the whole guide means nothing. (I can't say that it isn't helpful but this year apple has been breaking "tradition" and doing things differently)
  12. adamsan macrumors newbie

    Mar 1, 2003
    It's disappointing to think that Apple are currently selling Tiger iBooks with half the recommended memory in them to run it. Even so, they were selling the original clamshell iBooks installed with OS 9 despite them only having 32MB ram in them back in 2000. That situation lasted a few months IIRC, until September time.
  13. mcgarry macrumors 6502a


    Oct 19, 2004
    In general I agree with what metsfan489 said. BUT also, try this on for size: since Apple has been, over the years, all lines considered, regularly irregular, the regularity of updates to iBooks until now means, in fact, that they are due for an irregular update. Deeeeeep.

    Ok, so maybe not, but it's something else worth putting in our pipes and smoking. Of course I don't know the answer to when they'll be updated-- none of us do-- but I do know that you set your watch to the Buyer's Guide at your own peril.
  14. metsfan489 macrumors member

    Jan 31, 2005
    mcgarry: yes, you are right, breaking their "tradition" of an april update is big in itself. This could very well mean a total redesign. *crossing fingers* I hope this means powerbook upgrade at WWDC. :rolleyes:
  15. jonomo thread starter macrumors regular

    Apr 28, 2005
    Just decided to get the 1.5 Powerbook instead.. seeing as how it has just been upgraded... i got 1 gig of ram too...

    i'll probably trade it in for the 14 wide ibook if it ever comes out... and looks cool!!! 15 is too big.. i use to have the titanium 15... i think the 14 wide ibook would be the perfect tradeoff in size...

    Thanks for the advice all!!! :D

Share This Page