iBook...updates soon?!?!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tylersail, Apr 4, 2005.

1. tylersail macrumors newbie

Well it has been five long years and I still am typing away (slowly) on my ibook clamshell. God knows I need a new computer and have been waiting since January to get a new one. I am waiting for the update due to Tiger as well as the speed bumbs. However, I am going crazy with all the information being thrown at me. Some say that the iBook will come out in April (MacRumors) and some say in May (AppleInsider). It seems to me that it will arrive between April 19th-22nd because of the previous release history, but I need a second opinion. Generally with updates stores report to a website like this and tell of their "ceased shipments", but that hasn't happened yet. Please! Give me any feedback on the date. It'll help us all! :D

2. chelseasian macrumors regular

chelseasian

3. cubist macrumors 68020

I lost patience too and got a refurb iBook 1.2 for $850. The presence of all the refurbs indicates an update isn't too far off, but prices are good, and why suffer? The speed bumps may not be all that much anyway.

4. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Just buy it now dude. The ibooks kick butt. :D Typing this on my 12 inch 1.2 80 gig 256

5. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Yes, iBooks *will* be updates within a month, but if you really want/need one now, just get one. The updates are expected to be really minor--i.e. probably a 1.33 GHz G4, a slightly better graphics card, maybe one of those new trackpads. Not a big deal.

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Waiting for Tiger will save you $69-129 (student?). That will kill a couple weeks. Check the rumors again at that point. If I were you, since you have a computer you can use in the meantime, I'd wait for the new iBooks.

On the other hand, I waited for new eMacs a while back (two months or so of waiting), fuguring I'd get Jaguar and an update by waiting. Jaguar did indeed come with it, but the updates were nothing more than a price drop that, with the student discount, amounted to $50. Still, I wasn't too disappointed. $119 is nothing to sneeze at (especially when you're a poor grad student).

7. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

i have a 500Mhz iBook and i am ready for a new one as well. I am holding out for the update though. I am telling myself that i am doing it so that i can get whatever the latest model is as soon as it comes out, but in reality it is because i am waiting a bit for some extra money so that it doesnt hurt the bank so much going out and getting a new comp.

you cant go wrong really. the models that are out now are great, picking up a used one is a nice option and easy on the wallet. i am just kinda psyched about new graphics cards, i would really like to play some UT 2k4 on my next ibook (which has seen way too many hours of UT 99).

at that... i will start taking bids on a 500Mhz iBook 640/10gig/cdrw/airport card/near perfect condition/10.3 disks included... :)

8. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Correct quote to attribution...

Not to be an a** or off-topic, but your quote is actually from Mary Schmich, of The Chicago Tribune, in a column she wrote for June 1, 1997.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000634X/scottsupakbaldmo/002-4676378-1646461

9. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

That may be true. I was quoting Baz Lurman from the song "The Sunscreen Song". SO she may have said it originally, but i wasnt quoting her. I was quoting Baz Lurman. P.S> Not to be an ass. :D :rolleyes:

10. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

I don't mean to continue this toolishness, but what you're saying is absurd. That would be like someone attributing, "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country" to me, because they heard me say it, instead of to JFK, the person who said it originally. In "Everybody's Free to Wear Sunscreen" Baz Luhrmann was simply putting Mary Schmich's words to music.

It's a little more complicated than that, I guess, because you wouldn't attribute the lyrics from a song to the writer, but to the singer (who often, sadly, aren't the same person). However, Schmich did not write the words specifically for the song--she was just writing an article.

11. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Wait for atleast Tiger to be released sometime within this month. Then if you want to wait for the next speed bump, by all means go for it. But if you can't hold out, we understand :D