iBook upgrades ....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MikeJett86, May 3, 2005.

1. MikeJett86 macrumors newbie

Hello

well- I'm posting this for a close friend because I'll be doing the upgrades if she decides to but I want some opinions on all of this. She has a 500Mhz G3 iBook with 256 MB of ram, a combodrive, a dead battery, and 6GB hard drive i believe. My plan was to get her a new battery, some more ram and a bigger hard drive. Or there's another option is to say "to hell with it" and get her a new iBook or g4 Powerbook from my friend who's trying to get rid of his. So either way money shall be spent- and if my friend is serious about the powerbook then that seems the best way to go- just wanted some of y'alls opinions on the matter and, this is probably the wrong thread but, what kind of ram/hard drive do the g3 iBooks take? I tried looking around online a little but haven't found anything ...

thanx

Mike

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Ram: PC100 (it will take 133 as well)
    a 512 Chip will max it out at 640

I'm pretty sure came with a 10GB hard drive
    Any ATA-66 2.5 inch hard drive should fit.

I'd personally just get a new computer (new, used, refub).

3. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I agree about the new computer, by the time you upgrade it, you've spent most of the cost on a much better overall system.

4. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

This much is true. by the time you put,say, a 4ogb 7200 rpm hdd in, and a stick of 512mb ram,you'd be past a certain cost. For $700 these days, you can find a 900 mhz g3 ibook or better.

5. MikeJett86 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies guys- i'll pass on the information.

Michael