iBook Users- Fastest iTunes Import Rate?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kwyjibo, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I'm an iBook 800/combo user and my iTunes seems to go really slow for a modern machine. I'm not sure if its iTunes, the drive because its in a laptop, or something else i'm not doing.
    I encode at 160 and use the CDDB feature to name the tracks. The fastest my iTunes ever imports is 5.__ x and thats good sometimes it goes as low as 1.5x and that seems ridiculou.s Anyone have any tips or a similar situation.

According to apple.com its 16x,8x,24x which seems a little slow but 5._ x of DAE seems ridiculous.
  2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Well, first off when you import, the processor is one of the main variables in your speed.

On my G4 500MHz with 48x Liteon drive, I get about 10x importing at 320kbps.

Also, when you import, make sure thats the only thing you are doing. iTunes likes to be a CPU hog....
  3. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i'm pretty sure that i've used an ibook and imported tunes, and i think i got up to about 7x.

the most i've ever go was 12x i think, on my g4 imac. although i have had as low as 1x too. i think the actual cd has something to do with it too, but the cpu speed is the most important i guess.
  4. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

Jan 27, 2003
    I've got an iBook 700 Combo, and the processor is the real bottleneck. I also import at 160, but I have gotten as high as 7 or 8x on some CDs. I think the slowest I have ever gotten is somewhere around 2 or 3x. I know I have never gotten 1x. Then again, I have only imported around 20 or so CDs on this Mac, as I had over 100 albums that I had imported on my old Dell. So my expreiances aren't too representative.
  5. alexlai5050 macrumors member

Apr 9, 2003
    I have a 12 " powerbookk with super drive and the fastest ive gone is about 7 x with some other programs running
    make sure you dont have i tunes playing while encoding especially not the dick you ane encoding
    hope this helps
  6. gotohamish macrumors 65816

Jul 15, 2001
    It's all about drive speed and processor working together. I have a 48x Lite-on Firewire CDRW with a 1.3Ghtz processor (100Htz bus), and I get between 18x and 21x. It's flys across.

I firewire burner with your iBook will import faster than the internal drive.
  7. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    ok this is one area where my family's PC clearly dominates. As I was typing that first post I ripped a whole cd with musicmatch average 15x but ranging from 13-17 all at the same bitrate. Its a 1.6 p4 tho so I guess it should be going faster. I'm just a little dissapointed when it actually takes half an hour to rip a Cd. I mean thats gonna be like years until i get most of my cds onto my 20 gig ipod. thanks to all that answered so far atleast i'm not alone .

I already own a firewire enclosure and i'm looking at a CDRW for it but its hard to find something cheap (really cheap) thats comaptible with MAc. right now i will just use the PC and the good ol network.
  8. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    ok i never correct spelling mistakes but this is too funny to pass up. I'll make sure to keep this in mind alex.
  9. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    i'm pretty happy with the 12-16x i get on my combo drive in my GHz Ti. i guess it would be a bunch faster with a faster drive, but this doesn't bother me. i like that iTunes automatically CDDBs the CDs and imports them when i put them in, then ejects the CD. yeah, i thought that was pretty cool the first time.