iBook users speak up

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by KwilsonCCO, May 4, 2004.

1. KwilsonCCO macrumors member

Ive searched this site and when it comes to notebooks seems this forum is full of powerbook lovers

Well i perfer the ibook Now the powerbook is really nice but its really above me

I have a old ibook g3 500 12

I want a newer one so id like to hear from the new buyers since the updates

The 14 or 12?

1 or 1.2? Combo or superdrive?

I really want the 1.2 loaded

It seems that the best buy in the 14 is the 1.2 because of the built in airport card
    Only a hundred more for the 200mhz and 20 gigs if you buy the ae card for the lower

2. simply258 macrumors regular

I have the 1 GHz 14" iBook, the 1st G4 iBook that came out. I think you'd be doing yourself a favor by getting a 1.2 GHz because I feel my 1 GHz needs a little more speed. Also, the extra hard drive space is good. As for Combo or Superdrive, Superdrive me thinks. Because you never know what you're going to be needing in the future and if one day you decide you need to burn DVD movies, you're stuck because you can't upgrade it. Same with the 1.2, if you get a 1 you can't change. In my opinion, you should get the most you can afford so you can future-proof your investment. Don't get more RAM when you order it, order the RAM from somewhere else because Apple and most other computer makers over-charges on RAM. Oh yes, as for 12 or 14, the 12 comes with 1 GHz only. If you're going to use the iBook at home mostly, 14 definately, the 12 is great for portability if you're always on the move and I think the 12 is also good if you already have a desktop since it would compliment it, not replace it. And I guess that's all.

3. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

You have to remember the new iBook's have 512k L2 compared to the 256k in the Rev A. iBook G4s'....My 1GHz PowerBook seems allot faster than the 15" 1GHz iMac I had. I owned both a 12" iBook and 14" iBook,I would definately go for the 12"...The 14" is a pain to lug around all the time.

4. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

I have the ibook 600 12in and it has been a workhorse for me. Bought it in Oct '01, I think? I am also contemplating the purchase of a new ibook 14". My primary use has been word processing and keynote presentations.

I would like to have one ibook at home for designing the presentations and one at work, that way I can just carry the burned CD of the presentation back and forth.

Now, I may be wrong about this, but I swear that the build on my ibook 600 is better that the current models. Go to an Apple store and spend some time with one. I really think our 500/600 model is better built. Of course, I could be biased.

Because of the build issue (and the powerbook 12" is so nice), I wake up some days thinking about a new powerbook.

Regardless, I will wait till late July before I decide. By that time the early adopters will have had a chance to weigh in on the subject of dependability, speed etc.

If I do go iBook, it will be the 14". My 43 year old eyes are shot. If I go powerbook, its an external monitor for me. Have no idea if this meditation/rumination is of any value to you. But, it has inspired me to go get another beer......

And, by the way ... Go Clemson.

5. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

I agree the G3 iBook's felt allot tougher....The new G4's are tough but feel kinda hollow.

6. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I agree 100%. I had an iBook G3 600 and it looked great and never broke. Since upgrading to this G4 800 in January, I've had to get the HD as well as the Logic Board replaced. I really liked the look and feel of the 600 better. Oh well...waiting for PB G5. :)

7. kaylee macrumors regular

kaylee

I have the 12in 1.07Ghz (its what it says in about this mac) ibook, with 512mb of ram and AE - my first Apple :D. I chose the 12in because I need portability, and for it to be as lightweight as possible seeing the laptop isnt the only thing I have to carry with me. For me, it is plenty fast enough - I use it for internet (web browsing, mail, instant messaging), word processing, uni work (viewing lec notes, doing practical work), folding, uni work, and will use it for games like Warcraft3 (once uni exams are over). I can't comment on how it handles processor intensive tasks like graphic work - maybe someone else can help with that.

With regards to issues with this latest round of 'books - i have no stuck or dead pixels, i dont have the "wobble", and no heat issues - my ibook has only been warm after folding all night, or after ripping my music onto the ibook, and fans have only come on a few times and only for a few mins each time. Battery life: you can easily get over the 6 hours running on automatic or reduced processor speed (barely noticeable speed diff if you are only doing things like web browsing) - even with AE turned on i can get nearly 5 and a half hours. If there is anything else you want to know, feel free to ask :)

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Depending on your setting, Warcraft 3 is fairly intensive... I'm curious how it runs and how high your settings are (I have a new 12" PB on the way- and curious as what to expect -roughly- in this area).

9. kaylee macrumors regular

kaylee

i've yet to play W3 on here - so i cant comment on the ibook's performance. however, my boyfriend has the 12 in pb released in september 03 (1Ghz, 768mb ram, 32mb graphics card) and he runs W3 fine - not sure what settings but im sure its not on the lowest ones (i'll get back to you when i find out). he's even run W3 in a window with no problems (lets him play and IM people at same time). the newer pb's have faster processor, and more video ram, so i can't see why you would have problems.

update: i have checked, and he definitely has no problems running W3, without having to turn down all the settings.

10. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

Clemson Sucks
    Go Powerbook, I recommend Powerbook, so powerful and able, but a dvd burner is nice on the go
    recommended for a power user
    ibook for a general consumer
    go powerbook
    its all metal

C

11. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

See sig for my particular model.

No complaints, except to say that this is my first Apple, and the claim that the OS never freezes up is untrue. However, it knocks the socks off my PC. I won't be going back. I'll use a 12" iBook at least until G5s are available in the PowerBook. However, I'll probably wait for G5s in the iBook before purchasing another computer. 12" (and 17") PowerBooks look really ugly to me. The 15" looks really nice...but it's too huge...I couldn't imagine adding 3" to this thing. It's big enough as it is. I'm a 12" man.

12. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I'm just curious on what's so wrong with the 12" PB model to you...especially since you like the 15" so much. Purely by looks, or stat reasons?

I'd just figure that since you like how the 15" looks, the 12" would be a given (the 17 is in a completely different class of it's own- for me it looks ridiculously*big)... but to each thier own :)

13. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

It's just the looks that I don't like. I do like the feature set--but I don't care to pay for it...I think the cost ramp between the pbook and ibook is a bit too steep (maybe not now...I haven't examined the latest revisions).

I've always thought the metal looked a bit cheap...which goes across the board on the pbooks (totally a personal preference thing...I honestly prefer the white plastic). I'd have to look at it again, but I recall feeling like the iBook was sturdier--for example the hinge on the pbook looked a little wimpy in comparison. But the big trouble with the 12" pbook is the way that the keyboard looks...I guess because it's full-size, it just looks and feels goofy to me. I've become so used to typing on a not full-sized keyboard, so it looked and felt awkward. That's all.

If I could justify spending the money, I'd have a 12" pbook...but I can't, and I like the way this iBook looks on my desk or lap or wherever--so I'm very happy.

When I said that the 15" looked nice...that mainly went for the screen and its size (I'd like to have that size, but portability is more important to me since I'm a student). When I placed the 12" iBook and pbook side by side at the Apple Store, I came away feeling that the pbook screen was weaker. When I set it next to the 15", the 15 was quite lovely and made me drool.

14. admiraldennis macrumors regular

I have a 12" 800Mhz iBook G4 w/ 640MB RAM (last rev).

I really love it, and am glad I got it over the 12" PowerBook. The 14" iBook wasn't even a consideration for me -- bulky, big, and the 1024x768 just like the 12". The 12" is so portable.

Why I'm glad I got the iBook over the PowerBook:

-Seems to be better-built, more resilient and rugged.
    -I actually like the feel of the iBook keyboard over the PowerBook one. Less slippery, less typos.
    -I think they look nicer than PowerBooks. Aluminum just looks cheaper somehow. They also scratch and fingerprint less.
    -It runs so cool! It gets way less hot than my friend's AlBook.
    -Awesome battery life (4.0-6.5 hours, depending), definitely an hour or two over PowerBooks.
    -I prefer the Ati Radeon 9200 over the GeForce Mobility 5200.
    -Saved siginificant cash.

Go for it. :)

--

And who's idea was it that metal was good to put on laptops?
    Plastic > metal. Reasons:

-Plastic doesn't conduct heat like metal does! At all.
    -Plastic is sturdier and more shock-absorbing.
    -Plastic doesn't bend/dent like Aluminum does.
    -Plastic has no effect on AirPort reception, metal is bad for it.

Sup same-iBook buddy. :) How you like yours?

(Not my first Mac though, my 7th or 8th)