Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Hemingray said:
Hi CaptainCaveMann...

Maya, I don't mean to steal your question (after all, I'd say you are the biggest supporter of the iBook in these forums :D ), but I wanted to point out that you can get a 60 gig drive in a 12" iBook as a BTO. I did! :)

No that is quite alright indeed. :)

I will be giving my upgraded 12" iBook 1.2GHz away to a family member who uses a PC. It might be around Q2 2005. Or either charity, I believe in spreading the wealth. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Don't everyone stand up too quickly, we'd hate to make a white mess on the floor again!

Even if the PB 12 was the same price, I'd probably still go for the iBook because it seems more durable and infinately better looking. As for screen-size... My eyes find 12-inches plenty large enough.

G4 iBook - the best thing to come from Apple for quite some time?

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
mad jew said:
Don't everyone stand up too quickly, we'd hate to make a white mess on the floor again!

Even if the PB 12 was the same price, I'd probably still go for the iBook because it seems more durable and infinately better looking. As for screen-size... My eyes find 12-inches plenty large enough.

G4 iBook - the best thing to come from Apple for quite some time?

I might be buying another two if the iBook is updated in April and give my current fully maxed out to a relative. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
maya said:
I might be buying another two if the iBook is updated in April and give my current fully maxed out to a relative. :)

Yeah, this is seriously the BEST thing for grabbing attention at uni - no doubt. For some reason, iBooks just don't seem as 'geeky' as ANY other laptop (PB included). In class, I feel like Alicia from Legally Blonde - surrounded by morons with bricks.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
umgolfer said:
Hemingray...nice pic of Roscoe...I miss that show. I have fond memories of my childhood thinking I was him chasing the Duke boys around on my Big Wheel...ahh

LOL, man, so did I!!! Okay, maybe I wasn't on my Big Wheel, but I did always pretend to be Rosco on the playground! Good times... BTW, Season 1 and 2 are out on DVD. Talk about bringing back memories!

Oh, and just so this stays on-topic: I'm watching these Dukes of Hazzard DVDs on my iBook. :D

dhaen

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2004
UK
In praise of i-Books

My G4 14" 1G iBook was painfully slow (virtual PC 6 running in background) until I added extra RAM, now it flies! It's better in every way than the Compaq it replaced.
Would I like a Powerbook? Well yes & no. More features for considerably more expense, but my iBook look better to me - clean and minimalistic - like a great big iPod.....

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I use an iBook G3 that was purchased at MWNY 2001. It's mainly a backup now for surfing the web. It currently has Mac OS 10.3.8.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Hi
I really like my 12" ibook too.
I planned to buy a 15" Powerbook, but then the 1.2ghz ibook came out and it sounded like such a good deal (with price drop, airport extreme built in) that I decided to go for an ibook and hold out a another year for a powerbook (or whenever the G5 or dualcore comes out).
I´m very happy with it (added extra 512g of RAM), the only time I have a problem is when I´m using Final Cut: The 12" screen is a bit too small and gets "messy".
(The editing it self works ok, I only do smaller thing like my showreel). :cool:

PS I do love the portabillity of the 12" though

joshua_msu

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
chicago (formerly detroit)
Itll be cool when the PB's go to a G5. I see the iBooks going to the current 1.5/1.67 G4 at that time or shortly after. Those should be a real bargain, especially if they come out this year.

apple4life

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2004
12" iBook 1.07 here.... with stickers!!!

I purchased a 1.07 12" and a 4g 20gb iPod with the cram and jam last summer and I love them both as life would not be the same without them. My justification for the iBook rather than the powerbook was the same as many of you:

(a) I am not a power user so I didn't need anything more
(b) As my needs grow I can get a powerful desktop
(c) It is super portable and durable
(d) Great battery life and wireless reception
(e) Looks cool and it takes to stickers well.:p Powerbooks aren't conducive to stickering up.
(f) Great price.

I'll probably stick with iBooks for years to come as I am already planning on selling this one and buying the next revision with Tiger loaded and another iPod in next summer's cram and jam offer. The only decision will be which iPod to sell, the old one or the brand new one...... :D

mc5

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2005
I Love my iBook!!!

My 12' iBook 1.2 GHz 1.25G RAM absolutely rocks. I'm a student, I check email, listen to music, make some powerpoints, play EU2. I couldn't be happier with my machine. I would buy it again and I'm am sure that it will last me a long time.

I would definitely recommend students do not buy a powerbook, because there's no point. or anything bigger than 12".

I really feel like the 12" G4 iBook is the best computer value EVER.

apple4life

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2004
...oh yea, and in terms of screen quality...

:D I have an aquantance (sp?) with a 12" pb and I was showing him some stuff on my 12" ib and he was surprised at how bright and crisp my screen was. He even thought it was better than his!!! He has a rev a or b, not sure which one.

I was thinking that if the screens are different from the iBook and pb maybe mine has the better screen since the volume of iBooks they sell during the cram and jam is pretty high and they may have used what was available...??? :confused:

Does anyone know if the pb and iBooks are made in the same place? But that doesn't necassarily matter because if there was a shortage of one screen type it would be forcast well enough in advance that shipments would have been rerouted from the pb manufacturing site...

Anyhow, my screen is no slouch. It is crisp and bright as the powerbooks..

:D

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
apple4life said:
:D I have an aquantance (sp?) with a 12" pb and I was showing him some stuff on my 12" ib and he was surprised at how bright and crisp my screen was. He even thought it was better than his!!! He has a rev a or b, not sure which one.

I was thinking that if the screens are different from the iBook and pb maybe mine has the better screen since the volume of iBooks they sell during the cram and jam is pretty high and they may have used what was available...??? :confused:

Does anyone know if the pb and iBooks are made in the same place? But that doesn't necassarily matter because if there was a shortage of one screen type it would be forcast well enough in advance that shipments would have been rerouted from the pb manufacturing site...

Anyhow, my screen is no slouch. It is crisp and bright as the powerbooks..

:D

Apple uses the same screen across the board, this is due to cost reasons. If a iBook or PowerBook 12" users either has a dull or bright screen, its due to the settings (calibrating, contrast, brightness). If there seems to be a washing out or white spots on the screen it might be a defective screen. :)

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
Have got a G3/900/14. Has been treating me fairly well and is still my primary machine (and I don't hesitate to make it work hard with photoshop, light video editing and the likes).

The best part about being a G3/900 owner is that I get a new logic board every 6 months. This thing is going to cost apple a fortune by the time it ends its 3 years.

BoardCertified

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2005
Orlando, FL USA
My iBook does not leave my side very often, and when it does, I feel a loss. I can't really think of anything my iBook can't do that the PowerBook can, but I realize the power of the PowerBook allows for more intensive programs and greater expansion.

The iBook is perfect for those people who are just using their laptop for basic office and personal computing.

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Hard drive

CaptainCaveMann said:
Maya, whats up. Ive been wanting to buy an ibook for a while now. Ive also been debating between the 12 inch and the 14 inch. I guess the best way is to just go to the store and play with them to decide. I want to walk in the store and walk out with one. Since the 12 inch ibook only comes with a 30 gig hd thats been a big reason to buy the 14 inch. What do you think i should do? Im asking because you seem to have good input on both machines.

You can upgrade the hard drive in the 12 inch just as easily as the 14 inch. The 14 inch has more viewing area (same resolution though). It will boil down to what you think is better suited to your mobile needs. My ibook is running with an 80 GB hard drive (5400) from Hitachi and it runs just fine. I would suggest going to the store and putting your hands on one of each. That's what did it for me in the end. They're both great machines.

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Keyboard noise and cheap feel.

Chrispy said:
The only real complaint I had about the iBook was the keyboard seemed cheap and it was really loud to type on (this was a problem in some of my lecture classes).QUOTE]

I use one of those iSkins on my keyboard and it is virtually silent (and spillproof). I don't recommend them if you like the feel of the plastic keyboard becuase it may take some getting used to. It is, however, very, very quiet. As for the quality, it's about as good as any other, if not better. I came from a Gateway 200x Centrino based system and the keyboard was nowhere near as nice. My sister-in-law has the 12 inch powerbook and the keys are nice but not too different as far as feel goes.

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
eleveneastgate said:
Would you consider doing this mod?

click here

I bought my iBook second hand from someone who purchased it in November of 2004. I did this to mine the first day I received it in the mail. Despite what others say, it is NOT rocket science. While I was in there I switched the harddrive and added some ram. It works like a charm and I'm glad I did it. Mine is a 1.07GHz G4, superdrive, 768 ram, 80 GB (5400 rpm) harddrive. The whole thing took about two hours. Prior to this iBook I had never even handled one in person. You literally put everything in and insert the original OSX install disk. It works like the first day it rolled off the assembly line ... only a bit faster.

Also, you can get a like new superdrive for about $100 - 120 on eBay. I found a reputable supplier and received it within 3 days for only $100. $200 is what they go for new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.