iBook value depreciation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by josepho, Apr 21, 2004.

1. josepho macrumors regular

Mar 12, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Hi guys,

as some of you may have read (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=68233) I just got an 800Mhz iBook, which I'm gonna return for the 1Ghz version. Anyway, what I'm wondering is, in a year's time how much of the money I spend will still be in my iBook - I mean, if I sell it, how much of the original value will I hope to recoup?

I'm getting it on a student discount which bring is down to about £850 (60GB, BT, AE) & £70 for extra 512MB RAM from Crucial. I'm thinking that if I keep this for a year, maybe I could get a Powerbook a year down the line... Maybe even a 15", though that depends whether I find that I really prefer the portability of the 12" - maybe by that time (hopefully) the PBs'll even have G5s. Sweet :)

Even if you can tell me what this kinda money would have bought 12 months ago I can have a look on eBay, etc to find out how much they're goin' for. Certainly seems that Apple computers retain a lot of their value.

2. Dippo macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    I calculated it once upon a time, and I think I had that it will be worth about 60% value after one year. It really depends on the updates though.
  3. Nny macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2004
    If it helps you any for comparison... I just sold my iBook 500 MHz DVD 12" model w/ Airport & 256 MB RAM installed for $580 on eBay two weeks ago. Pretty good, I think.
  4. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    I would guess that the G4 iBooks will retain a fair amount of resale value until the G5 ripples down the line. It's the G3's that have less value now.
  5. Dippo macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC

How much did you originally pay? And when did you buy it?
  6. brhmac macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2003
    Planet Earth
    What's it worth

Just got some interest in the 12-inch iBook G4 I bought in early February as a BTO from Apple. What do you think it's worth?

• 12-inch iBook G4
      800 Mhz
      60 gb hard drive
      640 mb ram
      Airport Extreme

• No dead pixels
      Original box
      All the CDs
      90%+ manuals

My price: $1525 with tax
  7. powerbook4me macrumors member

Apr 20, 2004
    Going for 750ish or so from internet stores now.
  8. Dippo macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC

Ouch that sucks. It lost over half of it's value in only two months.

A new system with about the same specs would cost about $1450..
  9. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2003
  10. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

Dec 13, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Before Monday morning, with AE and the RAM, that would have gone for $1100, easy. I watched 12" ibooks and powerbooks for a couple of weeks on ebay and I was astounded at the prices-- buyers, without exception, paid full prices they could have gotten at the refurb store, plus 80% of new ram and and airport cards! I have not looked since the update.