iBook versus PowerBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ozone, May 8, 2004.

1. ozone macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi... trying to figure out if I'm better off with a 14" iBook or a 12" iBook. Does anybody notice the difference in screen space that much? Typical tasks include email, web surfing, photos, and light movie work. Performance is important, but not as critical because this would mainly be for home use. Portability would be mostly for convenience (e.g., around the house) as opposed to necessity (not business trips).

ASSUMING a 12" is okay, would I better off with an iBook or PowerBook? One big determinant would be the SuperDrive. I have an extra LG internal DVD writer unit that I can turn into an external unit with a casing. Is it a case where I can use any brand external DVD writer as long as I have MAC DVD specific software? Or do I absolutely have to have certain brands of DVD writers? If I can get away with my LG unit, then at least I wouldn't have to worry about a PowerBook for the reason of the SuperDrive.

Live in Canada, so unfortunately refurbs don't seem to be an available option.

This would be my first MAC, so any advice would be appreciated as I don't have any feel for what the MAC products are like.

Thanks in advance.
  2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    the external burner is fine if you want to buy DVD Studio Pro, but I believe that iDVD only recognizes built in burners supplied by Apple. If you still want an iBook and a superdrive, you can get it built in on any of the 14" ibook models. I like the 12" screen on my powerbook just fine, and I know the resolution is the same, but when my eyes are tired and I have been working all day, I miss the screen on my 14" iBook. Just my 2 cents :)
  3. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
  4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    i have a 12 in, 800mhz (see sig for specs). I am a graphic design student, and run some intensive tasks. The machine is awesome. i cant imagine having a larger screen with this same resolution. the machine would be too bulky. the size of the 12 is perfect. good luck, and welcome to the mac!