iBook + Video Editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dav, Nov 7, 2004.

1. dav macrumors 6502

Yes, I have focused in on the iBook for my purchase...

Quick question. Will the iBook suffice for LIGHT video editing? Say iMovie/FCE with very very short videos (5 mins max)... Does the graphics card contribute to Video editing? Or is it only for Motion/Gaming?

Thanks

-Dav

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I think you'll be ok. Just make sure you have AT LEAST 512 RAM in that.

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I have been doing FCP work on my new ibook. You are talking about a G4 ibook right? A G3 ibook could probably handle light imovie but not much more. The GFX card doesn't matter at all for editing only for Motion (Pro app.) types. Also the Radeon 9200 mobility is not a bad card at all. Call me crazy but I have even managed a little gaming on this!

4. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Hi
    I just bought the new 12" iBook (specs in signature) and I hope to do some editing with FCE. Same as you, around 5 minutes pieces (my showreel).
    I haven´t had time to try it out yet, but I belive it will be ok, not great , but ok. I´ll let you know asap. I should be able to get some editing done this weekend comming, if you can wait, I´ll let you know.
    Good luck

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Hate to break it to ya all but...

FCE 2.0, when I installed it on my PowerBook, required a 64MB AGP graphics card. That may be only for the real time previews but I am not so sure.

Now that I look at it, you just need an AGP video card... but I would be wary about that. Even though a graphics card has little to do with FCE, 32MB of VRAM is kinda skimpy. A Quicksilver with the GeForce 2, with 32MB of VRAM was very painful to edit with. Almost no real time effects. Maybe they fixed stuff in version 2...? Anywhoo, iMovie might be your only resort unfortunately.

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I have FCE 2.0 installed on my iBook G4 800 with 640 MB of RAM. I didn't even know that a 64 MB AGP card was a requirement. I did just finish a 2 1/2 hour video project in FCE 2.0 using only my iBook. Worked just fine. Exporting took a little bit but otherwise it was fine for me.

On Apple's website it says it requires and AGP card but not a 64 MB AGP card.

* Macintosh computer with a 350MHz PowerPC G4 or G5 processor and AGP graphics card.
    * RT Extreme requires a 500MHz PowerPC G4 (550MHz for PowerBook G4) or G5 processor or any dual PowerPC G4 or G5 processors.
    * Mac OS X v10.2.5 or later.
    * QuickTime 6.4 or later.
    * 384MB of RAM (512MB required for RT Extreme).
    * 40MB of available disk space required for installation.

7. dav thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh yes, forgot to mention I will be working with 1.25 GB RAM..

It will be the new 12" iBook with a 1.2 GHz G4

Thank you for the comments so far :)

8. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

You will have no problems with your system.
    I've edited hour long movies on my G4/400 with 512mb ram...

If you are onoy going to edit 5-10 min long movies you don't need to get so much RAM, but its always a big plus.
    A friend of mine is taking a bachelors degree in animation and videoediting using a Rev B (1.0ghz) Powerbook 12" with 768 MB, he says its no probs at all and he simply loves his powerbook.

9. dav thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks cluthz. I already have the RAM, just waiting to purchase the iBook :D Yep, I am backwards

The RAM is PC2700, which is faster than iBook RAM.. Will it still work?

10. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Yes, it is backwards compatable

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I guess you could... if I find the box then I'll see where that crazy notion of mine came from...

There is NOTHING like having 3 hours to edit a movie in class... :cool: I love that feeling...