iBook Virus?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by NorthernNY, Aug 25, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 25, 2008
    My son has an iBookG4. Sophus has detected 7 viruses. I'd name them but we're unable to access further info because (presumably) the viruses have blocked his access to the web. How to proceed?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 11, 2008
    Update Sophos - it's almost certainly a false alarm.
    Use another Virus scanner
    List the names of the viruses so we can tell you why they aren't a problem.
  3. macrumors 68000

Jun 14, 2003
  4. macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2007
    51.50024, -0.12662
    ask if hes been downloading and installing codecs. there has been one that is actually a trojan but its no biggie and can be removed using these directions. otherwise theyre probably just windows viruses… do they start with "win" or contain ".exe"?
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 25, 2008
    Thanks for responding, but . . .

We can't update Sophus or download another scanner because he has no access to the web. Also, we can't name the viruses because Sophus requires that you log into their website for "naming." Is there a way to do any of this via my computer?
  6. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    Yep. Drag Sophus to the Trash and empty it. No more worries.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Aug 11, 2008
    Download the mac version of Clam AV on your machine (grab the updates too) and then install it onto the other computer. It's highly unlikely that the problems with the net access are related to malware, but without knowing what the malware is, it's hard to move on.

Check that no proxies have been defined in the network part of system preferences, and that the network address settings all look reasonable.
  8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 25, 2008
    Thanks very much for that advice (and for reading what I had written). This going to do the trick, I think!