iBook voice audio capture

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by deltrotter, Dec 2, 2004.

1. deltrotter macrumors regular

Nov 30, 2004
    Hi everyone

I have a new iBook (12" 1.2ghz) on order and wonder if anyone can provide some advice. I want to conduct a series of one-2-one interviews with some cancer nurses for a project I am working on.

Ideally, there will be myself and the cancer nurse in a room, with a table. I'd like to set my iBook up so that it can record the voice interview. Could someone point out what software and hardware I will need to capture and edit this audio?

E.g. GarageBand, Griffin iMic, and a boundary microphone.

Some very specific recommendations for software and mcrophones would be helpful. I am from the UK but could purchase from the US if necessary.

Budget - say £100 / $200 max.

All help gratefully received.

2. toezter macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2004
    Madison, WI
    i've done some recordings with iTalk, but thats with the ipod tho. very handy and small. doesn't take up much time to set up either.

if you already have an ipod, that would be good small investent.
  3. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    You already have all the equipment you need; the iBook's built-in mic is up to the job. I used mine to record lectures using Sound Studio, gave a much better quality recording than my Powerbook, too :eek:
  4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
  5. asif786 macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2004
    London, UK.
    I would try a test recording with someobody using the built in Mic - if you feel it's OK, then use that. If not, you'll probably need to get an iMic and just some cheap PC mic. I'm not sure how much the iMic is retailing at, but you can get one of the PC mics for around £5. The iMic is probably around £30, so a total of £35.

in terms of software, Audio In is a good simple app (mentioned in post above). If you dont like that, there's loads of these types of apps on VersionTracker.

hope this helps,
  6. deltrotter thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 30, 2004
    Thanks everyone.

Any recommendations for a fairly cheap boundary mic? Probably about £30-£50 ($60-$100)?

Also, I'll be editing the audio (chopping bits out etc). Will the software mentioned in this thread do that?

7. bluemonkey macrumors regular

I say just use the ibook's built-in mic and Sound Studio. I recorded my church's choir using this (free w/ ibook) setup from the sound booth 50 feet away, and was able to amplify the volume enough with SS's built-in filter to pick out individual voices from the recording. If you're sitting at a table with your subject and the ibook between you, you'll have NO problems.

8. deltrotter thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 30, 2004
    Thanks Jason.

I'll give that a try. Not sure Sound Studio is free with the UK version I have bought (12" 1.2ghz).