ibook Vs new PB or Rev C PB - advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by scarlets knees, Feb 17, 2005.

1. scarlets knees macrumors member

Sorry to add to the ibook Vs PB debate but I need one last thread before I leave wintel behind - well at home anyway.

I want a 12" laptop for portability. Going to use it for the web, office, ilife (esp Garageband), editing DV and burning to DVD's so I read all the forums and came to the conclusion that an ibook would probably do and with the saving I could beef up the HD and ram, buy a bit of software and an external DVD burner with loads left.

Then Apple brought out the new PB's and dropped the price. For the BTO ibook and DVD burner I'll have to pay around £950 whereas the new 12" PB will cost £1200 off the shelf with better specs, suddenly it seemed a lot more affordable. Then I though what I could do with the £250 so I settled again for the ibook...

Then someone pointed out that third party re-sellers will still have some rev c PB's and be knocking down the price. I found one for £1050 ,only £100 more than my intended ibook purchase.
    So..
    Do I stick with the ibook, go with the rev c PB or just bite the bullet and spend the £1200 on a sparkly new model?

Thanks

2. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

Go with the PB...

I recently purchased a refurb pB 12" 1.33. I have a iB with RAM & HD max'd out.

One thing I don't like about the iB is no audio input, so if you get the iB, you still have to get an audio interface. I use the Griffin PowerWave. With the pB, audio line in is included.

Also, the pB has all those outputs for monitors, etc...

Put it this way, the iBook is for consumers. pBooks were designed for Pro situations, and is the one that'll give you more options.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Go to Apple's online store and see if they have any 12" pB refurbs... :D

3. scarlets knees thread starter macrumors member

mmm didn't realise about the audio in was only on the PB which is useful cos I'm keen to digitise my old records and tapes.

Been trying the refurb store here in the UK but for the last few weks they've only had PowerMacs, assume the market isn't big enough to have some of the great deals I've heard about on the US site. Will keep checking of course.

Thanks for the tips.

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

By the sound of things, the powerbook sounds like the best option for you if you want to do a lot of audio work. plus the powerbook has better upgradability and tiger compatibility in the future. get the Rev C if you want a bit of extra cash left over to spend on some extra sofware/hardware and i'm sure you'll love your notebook.