ibook vs older pentium 4 1.9 ghz

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bmc1818, Oct 20, 2005.

1. bmc1818 macrumors member

Sep 14, 2005
    I currently have an older (3 years) dell desktop pentium 4 running at 1.9ghz with 256 megs of ram. I was wondering how an ibook or power book running at their 1.2-1.5 ghz would compare. Would they be slower? I have no clue how the powerpc vs intel comparison works.
  2. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2005
    The poor section of Connecticut
    The iBook or powerbook would probably fare the same, if not better (in my opinion). Take this comparison...I have an iBook 800 mhz and my boyfriend has an HP(PC) 2.6ghz. The internet surfing, start-up, shut-down, and general computing on the iBook seems faster to me. It could be that his PC has something going on I dont know about (I doubt it) but thats the only experience I have to draw on. One of the real mac-daddy's will be able to better answer your question. I'm extremely curious to see if anyone can give some real stats on this subject.
  3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    I came from a p4 1.8 with 768ram to the ibook in my signature and the ibook is faster at most things cuz it doesnt have adware and spyware to slow it down and it simply works, I find it faster for almost everyhting except gaming. Regardless I would say the ibook is ok for casual gaming.
  4. enginerd macrumors member

Aug 6, 2004
    I have an Athlon XP1800+ with 1gb ran as my desktop pc and an iBook 1.2 with 768mb. Overall, I'll put my PC as a bit faster in everything, probably due to the much faster hard drive. But if you go from that PC with only 256mb ram to an i/pbook with 512mb+, the mac will probably be noticeably (but not hugely) better. Go for it, you shouldn't be disappointed. :)
  5. localghost macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2002
    systemshootouts.org is a little mac biased, but I think this chart is as close as you can get in the minefield of pc/mac cpu comparison.

So the ibook might be slower (*flame proof shields on*) but I honestly don’t believe that you would regret getting an ibook. I have a dual p4 2,8 at work but jesus am I glad to be on my 0,4 G3 powerbook when I am at home.

but if you don’t mind to wait for a couple of month it might be worth to wait for the macintels ... .

on the other hand you can see where the waiting game gets you if you look at the specs of my mac. :eek:
  6. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    I have a 2.0GHz Dell Insprion 1100 w/ 256MB or RAM, i also have a 800MHz G4 iBook 12", and the iBook is about the same speed, but it is 1/4 as hot, and i've never had the fans turn on loud, the HD is the only noise i ever hear (and the DVD drive when a disc is in it and its beign accessed...) I'd say go for it, a new iBook or 12" poerbook is going to blow your 1.9GHz intel away...
  7. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    A 1.2-1.5GHz PowerPC G4 would beat a 1.9GHz P4. Heck, a 867MHz G4 is faster than a 1.7GHz P4 (from Apple's explanation of the "MHz Myth"). So a 1.5GHz G4 is about equal to a 2.4GHz P4.