ibook vs pb - updated

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nichos, Nov 6, 2004.

1. nichos macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Hi all-I know there have been a bunch of questions on this, but I was getting ready to buy and hadn't seen this topic come up since the latest ibook updates. How would the 12inch ibook do for gaming? (unreal, simcity, and halo) - also garage band. My girlfriend has an emac, and it handles garage band pretty well. The powerbook is a BIG jump in price, but if the ibook wont do what I want it to, it's not going to be worth it. My main concern is that the powerbook has a much bigger price tag, and the machines are so close. If I could get away with an iBook, I definitly would get that. Thanks!
  2. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2004
    The Ocean Floor
    i think the iBook would struggle for games, but if thats what you wanna do then why buy a laptop? seriously, your battery life will be awful. and if you use it all the time with the power adapter plugged in then you might as well have bought an eMac or something. My point is that neither the iBook or the 12" Powerbooks graphics cards are up to much. To do any serious gaming on the move you have to get the 15" powerbook with the more powerful built to order graphics card. (is it the 9700 without looking?)

i don't play games on my mac so i'm just going on what my friends have/do. But from what i've heard (and please correct me if i'm wrong here) you'll be lucky to get good performance playing halo on a 12" apple laptop, be it iBook or Powerbook.
  3. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    What would you be using your laptop for? Do you go to school? if you do go to school do you need a laptop with you or can you do your work at home/apartment?

You have to tell us these things in order to get the best possible answer. If you want to game then get a desktop, laptops are not intended for gaming unless you get the 17" PB.
  4. yoak macrumors 65816

Oct 4, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    I just got a 12" iBook with 60G HD. I didn´t get it for gaming, but I did buy a special edition of MYST IV (including MYST III). It did play III well, but NOT IV. Minimum requirements for MYST IV was 32 grafics card, 64 recomended. (The iBook has 32)
    So I don´t think you will be happy with an iBook I´m afraid. (I am though)
  5. nichos thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Well, I am a student, and I'm out of town a lot, so I will be getting a laptop, no question about that. I'm also a Linux user and would like somewhere to play some more games. I guess my question is - are either the pb, or ibook capable of playing games? If not, I don't see a reason to get a pb, as it offers no real advantage. Thanks
  6. palusami macrumors regular

Nov 4, 2004
    san jose, ca
    ibook vs pb

i have a 15" pb with an ati graphics card, the 9700, and it works great with current games like halo and command and conquer generals. only thing i had to do was to upgrade the memory. i bought a gig and now it runs like a champ. the pb runs most other applications very well. i usually have 5 or 6 things open at a time and it runs perfect. if you're looking to play games on your laptop, i wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 15".

btw, if you're looking to play games like doom 3 or other games that are based on the doom engine, you may want to wait until the update the pb with a g5. i was looking over the requirements for doom 3 for the mac recently and it requires a g5.
  7. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

May 5, 2002
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Also the iBook uses slower RAM than the PB-PC2100 vs PC2700 and lower VRAM. It might not run Doom 3 that well or at all.
  8. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    I have a 12" Pb and use it to play games all the time. All I can say is they're playable. Compared to the PC I had at home (Amd 1800+, 768mb ream, ATI 8500), the PB is a little slow. Halo has trouble keeping up in the big open maps, but indoors the game runs fine. I did try the newest Unreal 2k4 demo and it does run very well at default settings. I usually got around 25 fps on Onslaught. I have Generals, but need to update it. I heard the update made a slight speed increase. Right now it is laggy compared to when I played the game on my pc. I would suggest grabbing Quake III. It may be an old game but still very fun. I can easy run at over 50 fps in a 16 player match. I also recommend Call of Duty.

I did upgrade the ram to 768 mb in my PB and that made a big difference with garage band. With the standard 256 mb, the premade songs would take several seconds to load all the instruments. With the added ram, all the instruments load almost instantly.