ibook vs. powerbook...Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by volntitan, May 4, 2005.

1. volntitan macrumors 6502

OK, I posted this in a thread already, so I apologize for double coverage. I am buying my daughter a 12" ibook for the $999 range for her birthday next week. I should say I was going to....Microcenter has a 12" Powerbook for the same price after rebate.

Here is the link:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0173861

Since I am not a Mac "guy", I can't tell if maybe this Powermac is an older model or what. Could you experts take a look and tell me if there is a catch?

Looks like the Powermac might be the better buy.

2. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

The Powerbook seems like an excellent buy. It is, however, the "Rev. C" version of the Powerbook, and we're currently on D. However, D was a very minor update and the following changed in the 12" Powerbooks:

- There is now a built-in motion sensor to protect your hard drive from drops.
    - The processor speed was increased from 1.33 to 1.5 ghz.
    - The RAM was increased from 256 MB to 512 MB

You can very easily buy an additional 256 MB chip for the Powerbook. They are only about 35 bucks from Crucial.

The processor speed's difference is ... not that big. At all.

3. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Sam....the motion sensor...is that something the new ibook would have? It is for a 17 yr. old girl. Which product is more "sturdy"? I know the applecare is more expensive, but my wife is a teacher and we can get it from Apple directly for $239.

4. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

5. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

6. gallivant macrumors member

The iBook is incredibly durable; I know people who don't bother with any special bags or sleeves for them, just throw them into their bookbags with everything.

7. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I don't want to start up that whole iBB vs. PB toughness debate again, but I agree that the iBooks are sturdier. My daughter is going to be 17 this year, and we will probably get her a laptop. I plan to go with the iBook over the PowerBook, unless the PB goes G5 or dual core by the time we buy. If that happens, she may just get my rev. C 15" PB when I trade up ;)

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

double post - server isssues.

Can someone please delete this post?

9. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

So, in your mind, if the price was exactly the same, you would still go ibook over the powerbook even though powerbook is faster and has more storage?

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

How responsible is your daughter with electronics? Mine is not so good, and the extra toughness of the iBook makes it the clear favorite. If your daughter will mostly use her laptop for standard things like web, email, music, and Office docs, there is no real need for the greater power of the PB. Of course, when they are the same price, it is hard to go with the iBook.

Ambivalent enough? :rolleyes:

11. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

12. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh well...Microcenter lied to me. They said they had them, went thru the steps to get one and then said, after about 10 min., they didn't have them anymore. Sigh.

Now on to getting an ibook. Anythoughts on who to buy it thru?