iBook Vs Powerbook - n00b

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Brett875, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Brett875 macrumors newbie

This is my first post I will be making on this website, I'd like to thank everyone for turning me into a future apple user. I will be going to college in the fall of 2005 and I need a computer. I will be studying multimedia (website design, animation, videography) so I will be using Flash, Photoshop and Final Cut. We do have iMac's at school open 24/7 for students in my field but I think it would be neat to work on it during class (on the iMac) then transfer it to my notebook so I can work on it when I'm in my dorm.

I have narrowed my choices down to an iBook or a Powerbook. My question is if you think I should go with the new Powerbook and spend $2,100 (w/ education discount) on the

15.2-inch TFT Display
    1.67GHz PowerPC G4
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM
    80GB Hard Drive
    Superdrive
    W/O AppleCare Protection Plan (You have a Year to buy it) ADDITIONAL $350

OR

The new iBook that according to this site is due out any moment with the potential of having Tiger, 512mgs standard, 15" display, and a 1.5ghz g4 WITH the applecare protection plan. ($1800) SAVE $650

Anyway to find better financing then the 90 days same as cash with 0% interest?

THANKS EVERYONE!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't think we're going to see an iBook like that for quite some time...

How about getting the PowerBook if you really need the specs. I'm running an iBook because I only really use it for Office, the web, email and music. It easily covers those bases. :)

3. 40167 macrumors regular

Photoshop & Final Cut... you'll want the powerbook.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Photoshop runs just fine on an iBook (He...ck, it even runs without to much hassle on an old Pismo with a G3@400 MHz)... I would think Final Cut would be kind of slow, but I think an iBook would do the job just as fine as last rev PowerBooks, and people ran all sorts of programs on those...

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have to agree. I have a 1GHz iBook G4 and it runs Photoshop CS great. Just make sure to get extra RAM and you'll be fine.

6. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Brett,
    The iBooks may not be updated anytime soon. We here can only guess. But if you want to wait for an iBook update, you could be waiting a long time. However, the iBooks will assuredly be updated at least once this calendar year, probably in time for you to go to college. With computers, you can always be waiting; I say just buy when you need it.

That said, IF you are actually in the market now, there is no current iBook that-- within the context of portables, not desktops-- competes specs-wise with the 15" PB you have identified in terms of power and features. The 15" PB is a cut above, as its price reflects.

More generally, there really isn't much of a "vs" in iBook vs PowerBook. They are related but different computers. I think that only the 12" models of each can really be compared somewhat directly. In any case, it comes down to little more than this: spend more and get more speed/features, or spend less and get better battery life. What your budget and priorities are is up to you.

7. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Go for the powerbook. A few notes though... You will need 1 gig of ram to be able to manage heavy programs like photoshop, flash and other similar programs. You may also want to get the 128 video card.

8. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

NEED!!! You don't NEED 1GB of RAM, its nice to, but Photoshop and Flash and that, work well with only 512MB of RAM, the lowest amount of RAM I'd have is 384, but you do not NEED 1GB of RAM. 128MB of video memory would help to, but 64 will suit you just fine

9. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

What i mean was you need 1 gig if you want the programs to run really well/fast/crisp/as little slowdowns as possible.

10. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Well, even thats only true to an extent. Yes, some programs will run faster, but some programs will run just the same, but in sincerity, you're right, 1GB will make everything run faster, smoother, etc. Provided you use programs that use that much RAM, and if you are an extremist in Photoshop then yes you will want that GB of RAM, it'll help out a lot.

11. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

if 1 gig is such a necessity, then why in your sig do you only have 512 mb?

12. Brett875 thread starter macrumors newbie

You guys are awesome. As of now I have my eye set on the Powerbook specs below. Total comes to $1,934.. I'll get the AppleCare Protection Plan within 12 months for an additional $239 and if I have some extra cash get some more RAM.... Thanks Everyone.

1.5GHz PowerPC G4 w/ 64MB VRAM
    Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM
    AirPort Extreme Card

13. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

i have a 1.25ghz G4 powerbook 15" superdrive model. it's RAM has just been maxed out to 2Gb, from 512mb then 1.25gb. i can now run Shake, Motion, DVDStudio Pro, Final Cut Pro HD, and Photoshop with NO problems or slowdowns at all. with 512mb FCPHD had problems, Motion wouldn't run, photoshop was slow as hell and shake was as much use as whispering to my gran.

1.25gb made everything a huge lot better but rendering times still suffered a bit.

2gb and my oh my, everything's fine. and i'm happy.

:D

and despite being 1.25ghz it still flies :)