ibook vs. powerbook (older models)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by masterjedi73, Mar 9, 2004.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

I'm in the market for an older laptop, but don't really know the difference between all of them.

I only need the machine for portability and internet/WP. I'd like it to be able to run OS X. All of my high end stuff I can do on my G5. Really, I just want a machine I can use at work instead of this Dell piece they have here. lol

So I've primarily been looking at the Clamshell line, but how do they compare to the Powerbooks from around then? (Wallstreet, Pizmo, Lombard etc...) I've actually seen better prices on those. Are they any good? What is a good price for some of these machines? (avg. I realize each machine is different)

Thanks!

2. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i know the PB of that time period can be upgraded a lot, i have seen someone who had a G4 upgrade card in theirs.

i have a good 12" iBook 700mhz ill be selling when i get back from spring break if that might interest you and you can wait. its the white one not the clam shell so its a little newer.

3. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

I'm in no rush....what's your asking price?

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I have a last-rev pismo PB, and w/ the exception of the non-upgradeable video card :( it is very upgradeable...you can upgrade the cpu (g4 500 or g3 900), the HD, fits 1G ram, faster bus than clamshell iBooks (100MHZ vs 66MHZ). It also has a bigger display, the option for dual-batteries, and you can add a superdrive if you want...of course all those upgrades cost money, but even stock(esp. the 500mhz), they are perhaps the best portable Apple has ever made...very versatile and tough. Lombard PB can also be upgraded in almost all the same ways, but have only 4MB of video ram and no FW ports...you can find g3 ibooks (white) @ 600-700 mhz for as little as $500-600 though...

5. brhmac macrumors regular

What about a new iBook?

The new iBook is a great machine with a real G4 processor. And @ $1099 plus tax and a $100 to max out the RAM (640 mb), you'd have a brand new laptop with 10.3 and iLife '04 installed, a warranty and 5 hours of battery life for probably less money than you'd spend on buying, shipping and upgrading an older model.