iBook vs. Powerbook: Output Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ErinGoBragh, Apr 28, 2005.

1. ErinGoBragh macrumors newbie

So, I've been waiting for about a month, fully planning on buying a iBook when the new ones are released, but I've been doing lots of research in the meantime, and I just read something that might make a Powerbook a better choice for me.

Is it true that iBooks won't work with the latest projectors? One of the things I'll likely use my new laptop for will be presentations, especially since I'll be on the academic job market next year. It'll be the kind of deal where I'll show up there and be expected to use whatever projector they have. So I guess my question is, is there any difference b/t the Powerbook and iBook when it comes to using them with projectors?

This may seem like a small point, but it could end up being really important...

On the up side, if I end up deciding on the Powerbook, I'm thinking I'll be buying it tomorrow at the Tiger release. Yay!

2. macux macrumors newbie

iBook usually better than projector

I've been using my G3 (800 MHz) to give presentations for the last 2+ years. I plug in the adaptor and it always automatically adjusts the resolution to match the projector. I've never had any problems with the iBook having too low resolution, XGA projectors are still not common among portables. In fact, the resolution has often had to go down to 800x600, so you need to be careful to make sure your figures can be seen at that resolution.

3. LifeIsCheap macrumors regular

When presenting using Keynote, the Powerbook can display presenter notes, slide preview, elapsed time etc., while displaying the main presentation on the projector. The iBook only replicates the display. You can get around this with the iBook by running the ScreenSpan hack.

I have run this successfully with one of our work projectors although another wouldn't play ball.

iBook will be fine I reckon. Powerbook would be great!

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

the ibook won't work with a dvi projector, but it'll work with any vga projector, or s-video or composite with an adapter. and yeah, like LifeIsCheap said, you can use the screen spanning hack

5. indigoblu macrumors member

I just switched from iBook to Powerbook, and one of the many reasons was for presentations. I use my iBook, and it usually works on the projectors where I teach or make presentations. But you have to have everything very planned out and prepared (and I'm not always that organized or inflexible). The fact that I can have my notes and other info on my PowerBook screen while only showing the slides on the projector is a huge relief! If one of my students has a question, I can adjust which slide or video clip I show. I can even be showing video clips to the class while I'm preparing new slides or grading work on the net.

And you'll notice a huge difference in picture quality on the projectors. iBook works, but PowerBook rocks!