iBook Vs. Powerbook ... please don't kill me ;_;

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Tamer Brad, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

Okay, I know you all want to gouge me now, but I want to do a comparison and maybe you can tell me if this is worth it ... I've never owned a Mac before and am not sure what I am doing ^^;

Let it be said now that I am definitely looking for more bang for my buck, but let's get right to the point ...

I can get an education discount at the Apple Store. So let's take a look at this model, as it's the most decent ... I can't work with 30 GB HDD and 256 RAM!:

512MB DDR266 SDRAM (256MB built-in & 256MB SO-DIMM)
    • 60GB Ultra ATA drive
    • Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • Bluetooth Module
    • Keyboard & Mac OS X - U.S. English
    • 12-inch TFT XGA display
    • 1.2GHz PowerPC G4
    • ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memory

Estimated Ship:
    1-3 business days

Free Shipping

Subtotal $1,128.00

Plus when you add the sales tax over here ... it comes to $1269.

Now let's look at this powerbook on Amazon ...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...03-0842810-0470231?v=glance&s=pc&vi=tech-data

Your current subtotal: $1,499.99
    Amazon Visa discount: - $30.00

Your new subtotal: $1,469.99

And then there is a $150 mail-in rebate, bringing it down to $1319. The Amazon Visa also has twelve months no interest, which absolutely destroys Apple's 3 months. Keep in mind I am only sixteen so the longer without interest, the better! As far as I can tell, the difference between these two computers is only $50!

Given the situation, what would you do?

2. wako macrumors 65816

Well if you are short on money and you actually NEED to finance it, go ahead with the Amazon one. However first APPLY FOR IT BEFORE IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT. I doubt you will get accepted because for one you wont have credit history and you arent 18 (the age to get a card).

However I would definately perfer to goto the Apple store. When I buy big purchases I rather see it in my hand first. Not including say if you do have a problem with the screen or something when you get it. You are going to have to go through the hassle of RMAs, waiting, and whatever.

If your parents are going to buy it, I say just let them decide.

3. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

Look at apple certified store (refurbished) at apple.com

I just hear that :
    The Apple Store has added 12-inch PowerBooks with SuperDrive ($1,300); several 12-inch iBook models at $700 (1GHz/CD), $800 (1.2GHz/CD or 1GHz/Combo), and $850 (1.2GHz/Combo/AP); and 14-inch iBooks with built-in wireless: Combo Drive ($1,100) and SuperDrive ($1,300)

4. dfinn macrumors member

This is correct. I just (30 mins ago) got a 12" iBook with Combo drive for $800. Seems like a decent price to me.

5. Tamer Brad thread starter macrumors regular

Parents are going to get a card for me, but I have to pay for it. I don't have any problem buying things online.

6. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!?!

BUY A PEECEE!

IT COMES WITH SOLITARE!

YOU DON'T GET THAT KIND OF OUT-OF-THE-BOX EXPERIENCE WITH A MAC!

7. Vster macrumors 6502

Also you may want to think about AppleCare which is $183 for the iBook with the student discount (correct me if I'm wrong). I'd just like to have 3 years peace of mind. :D

8. Tamer Brad thread starter macrumors regular

9. The_Man macrumors 6502

The_Man

I was under the impression that the 1300 dollar price was already with the $150 rebate. I would look farther into before heading into a bigger dillemma.

10. Tamer Brad thread starter macrumors regular

As far as I can tell, it isn't. Can anyone who uses Amazon a lot verify?