iBook vs PowerBook Replacement

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mi5, Nov 9, 2004.

  1. mi5 macrumors newbie

    Oct 30, 2004
    Hi all,

    Since buying my iBook G4 800mhz 12 inch in Feb 2004, I have had 2 new hard drives and 1 going on 2 logicboards. However, much to my praise Apple decided to replace the whole iBook with a new 1.2ghz model (decision made when most recent problem was going to see a second new logicboard replaced). The only problem is they are waiting on stock and tell me it may be at least a month.

    Let me state I extremely happy with this outcome and look forward to the replacement. My current iBook has been at the Repair centre for near on 2 weeks this time round, so I am currently without any notebook.

    I wanted to canvass thoughts from everyone as to a potential alternative plan to put forward to Apple -

    When comparing what I paid for my iBook G4 800 + +512mb RAM + Airport Extreme Card to the new iBook G4 1.2ghz + +512mb RAM + included Airport Extreme card, it is now considerably cheaper (around A$320-A$450 less, depending on the RAM configuration).

    So I thought when comparing my IBook G4 800 cost A$2128.90 to the current model PowerBook 12 inch (standard 256mb + included Airport Extreme) of A$2286.90, I would only need to pay an extra A$158.

    The question is however, do you think Apple may consider replacing my iBook with a PowerBook and me paying an extra A$158. (I can get additional RAM later on)!?

    Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

  2. Solafaa macrumors 6502a


    Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    Dunno they might, i have no idea. Call them up and see if you can thats the best way, you will get a 100% answer if you call em up.
  3. cluthz macrumors 68040


    Jun 15, 2004
    You paid for a ibook 800mhz and you get a 1.2ghz..
    Prices drops and you should be glad they replaced your 800mhz with a much a faster 1.2ghz instead of another 800 mhz machine.

    If you want a powerbook, sell yhe 1.2ghz and buy a powerbook.

    btw, i thought the logicboard failures applied to the ibook G3, not the ibook G4!
  4. macwiz macrumors newbie

    Oct 21, 2004
    Up 2 u to decide

    No idea on what they would say, but yeah, as mentioned above/before... call them. Just remember though - untill they put an update in the PB theres stuff all difference at the moment anyway (other than things such as better dual display support & GB ethernet)
    Do you like white or silver????
  5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5


    Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    I'd definitely call and let Apple know what your intentions are. If I were you, I'd look at the features of the PowerBook, compare them to the iBook you'd otherwise get, and decide if the additional features are worth an additional A$158 investment. If you think that a PowerBook is worth the money, by all means tell Apple! They'll be glad to get business from you that they wouldn't otherwise get.
  6. diamond geezer macrumors regular

    Jan 26, 2004
    I would think you have a snowballs chance in hell of getting a free trade-up to a PowerBook.

    Apple would not let such a precedent be set.
  7. mi5 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 30, 2004
    After many phone calls with the Reseller and Apple, I was told today that Apple is shipping my new iBook to the Reseller today and I should expect it tomorrow. I am hoping this is definite because I need to finish my Masters paper before Monday.

    I originally made some calls today not to enquire about the alternative "Powerbook" option, but to find out why my Reseller couldn't simply replace my iBook with one they had in stock. Some story about it being policy to wait for a replacement direct from Apple, and that the Reseller in no way could use their own stock. I appreciate the administrative policies BUT, there was stock and I was waiting, it doesn't seem that difficult. Are Apple and the Reseller here to satisfy administrative policies or customers?

    So as you might imagine, I didn't even bother exploring the "alternative" option.

    Nonetheless, hopefully I will be using my new iBook this time tomorrow.

    At the end of the day, I am extremely grateful to Apple and the effort the Reseller has put into my case...resulting in a brand new iBook to replace my old one!

    Here's hoping the new iBook serves me well...at least until it's time to upgrade in about 2 years.

    Thanks to all for your comments!
  8. slipper macrumors 68000


    Nov 19, 2003
    Logic board failure can apply to any mac, but i also have a 800Mhz G4 iBook which had a logic board problem.
  9. mi5 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 30, 2004
    Well after a few more phone calls, I have just picked up my replacement iBook. I turned it on for a quick look, but as you would imagine it is pretty much the same, cosmetically speaking, so right now I am calibrating the battery.

    Apple has effectively replaced -

    iBook G4 800mhz, 640mb, 30gb, Combo & APX

    with a brand new -

    iBook G4 1.2ghz, 768mb, 30gb, Combo & APX

    Many thanks to Apple and the Reseller for their tireless efforts in resolving this problem!

    Fingers crossed for a long and reliable life with my new iBook...well at least for another 2 years till my next upgrade!

    Thanks to all those who took the time to comment.


Share This Page