ibook vs. powerbook vs. powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JES, Nov 13, 2003.

1. JES macrumors member

Nov 13, 2003
    Hi All,

So my main computer crapped out and I've been using a dual gig quicksilver desktop for my main home office computer. The dual gig machine is the heart of a home studio, and needs to move back down there. For work, I prefer to use a laptop. Mostly, it's just like a desktop (plugged into kb and monitor) but I can take it with me when I like.

I use my computer a LOT for work purposes. I do email and web like everyone else, write a LOT in MSWord, and do limited image editing in photoshop and web design in Dreamweaver. I want to be able to hold onto this machine for several years.

I'm leaning toward the 12" powerbook, though of course I wish it had a few of the features of the 15" powerbook, but I'm also wondering if I can get by with the cheaper powerbook. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm especially wondering about bus speed, processor cache, etc. on one hand, and durability and build quality on the other.

Next question. If I can wait until February to buy, do you think I'll find it particularly advantageous in terms of getting a better machine for the same money? .25 gig at this point doesn't seem like that big a deal.

2. switchingGeek macrumors member

Oct 11, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    At this point, more than the 1GHz->1.25GHz going from a 4200->5400->7200 RPM drive might produce higher interactive performance. So there is no problem going with the 12", in terms of performance..

However the 12" is only 1024x768, so unless you have an external display, graphics will be a tight fit. Also if you do say 1600x1200 on the external display, spanning with 1024x768 on the laptop, expose becomes a bit slow due to the (relatively) wimpy graphics card. The 15" is a better choice if you are going to do any hardcore graphics work, the Radeon 9600 is top of the line.

With computers waiting ALWAYS pays off. So if you can wait till Feb., do that. But you have to weigh the opportunity cost of not having a laptop till then.

I would suggest either the 15" base config, or the 12" with at least the 5400RPM drive. Max out the RAM from crucial or kingston (not apple). If you only use the external display, then it should be decent enough, for most tasks. Get the Airport Extreme card while you're at it :)...

Have fun!!