iBook vs PowerBook

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by stergz, Sep 23, 2002.

1. stergz macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2002
    Dear Folks

As a recently converted MCSE to the wonders for the Mac platform, I have the oportuunity to buy an ex demo Ti PowerBook 500Mhz with 512MB RAM and 20GB Hard Drive for $3990 AUS

I have been looking at the iBook 700MHz 12", with the same ram and hard drive for about the same price, as it looks a sexy, and portable machine. The Ti PowerBook has less MHZ and less Video (Mobility 8MB) than the iBook. I know the screen is bigger on the Powerbook but will it still outperform the iBook in something like Protools LE?

What R your thoughts?:confused:

Windows is just too damm fat and ugly!
  2. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Well they both run on the same system bus @ 100Mhz, but the TiBook has 1Mb of level 2 cache Vs 512k for the iBook.....

The big bonus the iBook has is the 16Mb of graphics memory, twice that of the rev a TiBook.......

It'd also be quite a close thing interms of performance with software, I have no idea if Pro-Tools is enhanced for Altivec, but if it is, then I would expect the PowerBook to eek out that little bit of extra performance when it comes to true number crunching......

Ultimately it'd be very close in day to day use, the TiBook does have a bigger screen that makes it ideal for window intensive app's, but some argue that it's alittle large for true portability (I disagree, but there you go).......

One thing though, makesure the TiBook has somekind of Applecare with it, if something goes wrong, and I'm not saying it will, but if it does you're either doomed or gonna have to empty your wallet big style...... or you could just get insurance arranged for it......

Personally I'd take the TiBook over the iBook, I prefer it's looks, and it's power, but also it's kudos........ but you really need the Applecare, or a warranty on one.....

The iBook is a good zippy machine, but suffers because of the small screen and the G3 for true number crunching......

There's loads of other comparisons you could make between the 2 machines, but ultimately both are good machines though, and either one you choose will be a worthwhile purchase, that I'm sure you'll be very happy with!!

P.S welcome to MR..... :)
  3. stergz thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2002
    Thanks for the info

Thanks iGav

According to various internet sources, Pro Tools LE doen't use the Altivec Engine yet. I think I am still leaning to the iBook for the portability at the moment.

4. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    i don't think even the dual 1.25s have 1MB L2 cache, much less the old powerbook Tis; that would be insanely fast. i think it's all L3 DDR SRAM, and they have 256K L2 cache. i would think that if you run OS X you would get the best performance off of an iBook, just from the faster video, but the G4 on the TiBook may actually negate that advantage. it's really probably a tossup, and you should go with the best warranty, or if they are the same, then whatever appeals to you most aesthetically.