ibook Vs. PowerMac..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BKKloppenborg, May 4, 2005.

1. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

Well i finally narowed it down, between

ibook (Comes with word proccsing)
    1.33GHz PowerPC G4
    512K L2 cache @ 1.33GHz
    14-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    256MB DDR266 SDRAM
    60GB Ultra ATA drive
    Combo Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    32MB DDR video memory
    AirPort Extreme built-in

Or
    Powerbook (Dosn't come with word Proccesing)
    12.1-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    1.5GHz PowerPC G4
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM
    60GB Hard Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce FX
    Go5200 (64MB DDR)
    Full size keyboard
    10/100BASE-T Ethernet
    FireWire 400
    Analog audio in/out
    Mini-DVI out

Word proccsing is very important for me with school why does the ibook come with it when its cheaper and the powerbook dosn't?

Well i wanted to know if i will see a Speed difference between my 2.4 ghz 752 mb ram laptop now to a G4 1.33 or a 1.5? Will i see a difference in speed between the 1.33, and 1.5?

Before you all say Powerbook i am on a budget, i would really like the powerboook (I think) but its 200 dollers more and that is a big gap for me. I still would have to buy Office for the Mac.. So will i see any MAJOR differences in a ibook and a Powerbook espcally with watching DVD's and Playing Warcraft, unreal 2004 and Starcraft?

P.S. tired out a Mac today and it wasn't even Tiger OS it was Panther and i LOVED the OS on it.. So it looks like i am getting one lol...

2. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

Sounds like you're mind is made up - you're getting an iBook - maybe wait and see what the updates are?
    (BTW you named the thread ibook vs POWERmac) ;)

3. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I saw this thread and went, "Why would anyone make a thread like this??? iBook vs. POWERMAC??? Uh... PowerMac!" but then I realized it was a type-o.

PowerBook.

4. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

opps i just saw that lol man my brain is fried lol...

Would love to get a ibook IF it had 64mb video... But they probaly won't have them updated by June-July.. (need it by then)

Powermac vs. Ibook i mean thats a duh lol stupid type o...

5. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

I still say iBook (im partial, see sig). It's a great deal, and even though the pb's were just updated, I still couldn't justify the cost. You'd probably want more ram even if you got the powerbook, now things are getting expensive.
    I'd go with the iBook, max out the ram (as I did). I've tried unreal, and watching DVD's, all fine (on an external display - this machine is becoming my main computer! :eek: ) and it still was fine!
    Little tip: if you're a student, or work somewhere that uses office, see if they have a "site license." Where I work you're allowed to install office after signing a waiver.

6. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

I assume you're referring to AppleWorks, Apple's aged works suite. Apple probably figures PowerBook purchasers wouldn't choose to use it anyway, it really is showing its age. Its last minor maintenance release was, what, 2 years ago now? Throwing it in on the iBook allows them to sell an entry-level computer as the complete package. For all the bad things one might say about it, though, it does work.

If word processing is very important to you, consider iWork ($40 edu, I think, haven't tried it myself), MS Office, or NeoOffice/J (free).

7. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

wow thanks for links! Only thing i am worried about ibook is the 32mb of Video memory... Can this be upgraded latter? My Toshiba upgraded video memory Auto for me from 32m to 64m all i had to do is throw in 512mb more memory can you do this on a ibook or no?

8. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

I'm not sure what you mean by "upgraded ... Auto" on the Toshiba, but no, the VRAM in all current Apple laptops is non-upgradeable. RAM, however, can be user-upgraded in all Mac laptops. On the current 15" model you can choose to have either 64 or 128 MB VRAM installed when you order it, maybe that's what you meant.

The GPU in the 12" PowerBook is superior to that of the iBooks, as well as having double the VRAM. It's hard for me to say how much of a difference it will make for you. These GPUs (Go5200 in the PB, Mobility 9200 in the iB) cannot be upgraded, either.

9. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

damn thanks for info, yup when i put a 512mn stick in my Toshiba it upgraded the Video ram for me Automatically from 32mb to 64mb and that is what i was wondering... Damn o well i think 32mb might be enough if i put another 512mb in the bad Mac... ;) :D

10. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

BUMP damn typo now no one is looking because they are like duh you dumbass what kinda of question is that? lol