Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
I am thinking of getting either an ibook 700 or a tibook 667 or 800 but I cant figure out which one to get. I will get the one that suits the following needs better:

1. VPC 5 performance...I know VPC is alti-vec enhanced but does VPC5 (w/ w2K) run acceptably in the ibook?

2. Macmame performance. I would guess both laptops would be near identical in this regard but I am just speculating

3. 3D performance for games. OK, I am looking forward to Medal of Honor but I do not now if 16m mobility can handle it? YOU guys think the 16m mobility can hang it out in the forseeable future?

Also, do you think that the G3 has much of a future? If I do buy the ibook (which I am leaning towards), will I regret not having bought the more powerful powerbook two years from now?

Your thoughts on this matter is appreciated.

Tae

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
There is NO doubt~

If you can afford the extra cash then I would say that you cant afford not to get the Ti 800 powerbook!

I got mine a few days ago, I have to tell you outright that it is the sweet spot of all the laptops! Faster, better than all the rest.
All the kinks have been worked out of this classic piece of hardware.
If you want your purchase to last then you must get the powerbook.

No worries, this is the right choice!

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I agree. For the kind of stuff you're talking about the PowerBook would be much more useful to you. The iBook's cool, but might just not be as serious a gaming/emu machine as you want.

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
You guyses thoughts on this matter seem very lopsided towards the tibook. Guess you guys must know what you are talking bout.
I got to play around with both the tibook and ibook at work.
It seems that the ibook is much sturdier in construction. The tibook seemed far more delicate. Is the tibook as fragile as it seems?

If i do get a tibook...is the extra 700 dollars worth it for an extra 133 megahertz for the 800 one instead of the 667? 700 bucks is kinda steep for that kind of improvement...don't you think?

Also, how much performance difference is there between the 667 tibook and 700 ibook. I have the g3 sahara is pretty swift.

Boy...what to do?!?!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
get the 800MHz TiBook

Go with the 800MHz TiBook. I have mine and wouldn't consider going to the 667. I have found that there are plenty of reasons for going top end with the PowerBook lines. For one thing, you get more RAM right off the bat, as well as a larger hard drive. Both without having to do a BTO from Apple which means you can walk into a store that sells them and walk out with one (provided they have unsold ones in stock).

As for the TiBook being fragile... I believe that people tend to be more gentle with it because of the form factor, and investment they place in purchasing it. When you spend a good chunk of change on a laptop, you protect that investment. I wouldn't toss any laptop around (unless it was a peecee in which case it's because I don't care a fig about it, and probably didn't pay for it :D). Just remember that Titanium is a very strong metal for it's weight and thickness (one of the reasons Apple used it for the PowerBook G4's shell).

swahilibill

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2002
Highlands Ranch
Hard Decision

Hi,

if you ar wondering about VPC5, get the Tibook. I had the 600 ibook , and it ran so damn slow, I am actually working on a 800 G4 iMac now because I needed the speed boost for those apps. The iBook is a great computer(really great, durable, reliable), but it is too slow for some of today's media. but the iBook is more durable than the TiBook. the iBook is polycarbonate and the TiBook is titanium, the TiBook though is not totally portable. I talked to a guy at the Apple Store and he said that the tibook would dent if you would take it round town like you would the iBook. Since the Tibook has a very thin LCD, it might destroy pixels. It is a hard choice, its power Vs. price Vs. Durability.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Denting a Ti

I think that there have been some tests on denting Ti and though I am sure that it will dent if you whack it with a baseball bat. I think that as Alpha said. The Cost and the importance of the Ti to the buyer create a perhaps overt tendency to pamper it so to retain its precious pristine appearance. But as we all know even the most beautiful things get marred with the passage of time and use.

I treat my Ti well but am ready to accept the inevitable dings and scratches.:(
I shed a tear for that day. Yet for the power and the great days that I go to the local coffee shop and twist heads off with my quiet comtemplation in the corner.
I dont think that it can be beat.

You get a good sleeve to carry it in and thats your extra protection.
Its not the type of laptop to throw into a backpack with school books and pens!

Its a more sophisticated luxury, and like anything of beauty demands a bit more attention, not as much as my girlfriend but close. :)

You must decided tween the choice of what will become evident eventually.
Power vs greater ease of Duribility.

What will frustrate you more,?
Not having the power that you crave when its needed or
Having to take the extra precautions of nurturing the portably yet sensitive Ti.

I think that when you consider the video cards in both units.
The newest Ti has the MIN for QE use.
This is the deciding factor and assures you of longer useage with the new OSX QE.

If you can keep it from getting side swiped by a errant careless passerby or the usual coffee spilling horrors or all the scary scenarios that begin to swoon in your head as you take you laptop out into the world.
Yet these are present no matter what purchase you make, you will always have to think a little ahead to protect your investment.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I don't see the problem about the TiBooks durability...... unless you treat thousands of dollars worth of hardware like a right tw*t, then the TiBook does just fine........ and it is totally portable........ I take mine with me everywhere..... I've worked in bars, cafes, trains, cars, parks, the beach.... and it has to put up with been slung over my shoulder during Londons peak-time Grid-Iron charge onto the Tubes........ my TiBook is now about 15 months old, and it looks as fresh as the day I opened the box........ no dents, no dings......

Ti it's the only way to go........ :D

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: iGav~

Originally posted by Grokgod
What do you carry your Ti around in?
I have been trying to figure out what to buy for that.
Timbuk2 has some good sleeves for the Ti , but i cant make up my mind.

I stiil have to get my LSP!

A black leather padded Targus bag...... wasn't that expensive around £75 say $100........ it's quite slim, yet ultra padded, and has discreet pockets to store the pro mouse and power cable......

Then I place the TiBook inside the red bubble wrap sleeve that comes with box when you have to send it back to Apple for repairs, just for extra protection......

A friend of mine has a metal case for his, you know the ones that terriorists use for bombs in hollywood blockbusters........ totally mental....... it just attracts too much attention, that said, he has dropped it before....... and the TiBook has been fine....... I'm sure airport security would be over you like a swarm though if you tried to take it on a plane.......

Aquanaut

macrumors member
May 10, 2002
UK

I went through every bag I could find and settled on the Targus Cordura bag with air pads inside the computer compartment (about £70 from PC World in the UK). It fits the TiBook perfectly and has plenty of space for all your bits.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA

I stiil have to get my LSP!

I decided to stay with the backpack style, since I want to be able to take it with me when I am on the motorcycle. I went and picked up a Brenthaven bag from a luggage store in one of the Malls here. It wasn't cheap, but it has held up much better then the targus carrier that I had before. On that one, after some riding trips the material started to show wear. This one has a sleeve that the laptop goes into, with room for a few magazines too, which goes into the main compartment. The traps are very comfortable, and it also doesn't attract attention, since it is black. It has plenty of room for my spare Firewire drive (VST/Smartdisk slim drive) as well as all the power cords and other things I might want to bring with me where I am headed. I even put the coolpad podium in the bag, along with one or two spare mice (depends on where I am going and the surface I will be working on, since optical mice loath reflective surfaces).

I have been thinking about getting one of those Zero metal cases, but I don't think that I would use that enough, considering how the Brenthaven one does it all, and actually has more room in it.

ponyboy

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
SLC UT/Italy
Ti durability

I am the absolute worst when it comes to taking care of computer equipment I feel it is to be used and not put behind glass, I treat my Rev A Ti this way as well as my iPod and they have the scratches to show it, but I have yet to notice any problems internally, on either and despit their looks they still turn heads, apples innovative designs on both these machines goes far beyond luster. My most recent incident involved an Italian bus drives slaming the breaks unexpectadly and my TiBook taking flight from my lap at least 6 feet, no exageration, and landing firmly on the bus floor! It booted fine and despite both hinges of the screen being cracked it opens and closes just as before and not one pixel is missing!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
ponyboy, I don't want to see your repair bill, especially for that cracked screen... You are looking at ~$1000, which can hurt unless you are going after that mook of a bus driver for f*cking up your laptop with his careless driving. Hell, I would go after him, especially with that much of a repair charge.

ponyboy

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
SLC UT/Italy
Misunderstood

Cracked hinges not cracked screen, my book is fine and I am using it now. The Ti is a workhorse in more ways than one! No repairs needed, asthetics are easily fixed by stickers

ponyboy

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
SLC UT/Italy
Italian driving

Sorry to double post but if you have ever been to italy you know that I should have been prepared for just such a stop, and the responsibility lies with me. The point is that I wouldnt trade my TiBook for and ibook anyday(well now that they are a little better than mine maybe, RevA 500, even then I am glad I have a g4 chip) I thought about it before spending the summer in Italy because of the durability thing but in has been a non factor

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Ahhh.. I read your post as saying that the screen was also cracked... that would have hurt.

You can get the hinges replaced. It will probably have to go to Apple, and may not be covered under warranty. Call them to see.

ponyboy

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
SLC UT/Italy
Yeah the warranty is long gone and I would never think of being without the book until it doesnt work and I have to give it up. Cracks and scrathes mean nothing to me so if taeclee99 wants something he can sell on ebay in a year(or less) get an ibook, and keep the boxes, but if he wants a computer that will satisfy his computing needs for some time to come thhen a tibook is the way to go, I am obviously biased

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I'm very glad that I never went with any iBooks, but only PowerBooks for mac laptops. I have had more then a few over the years. I picked up the Lombard when that came out. Then I sold it to get a Pismo when they came out. Then I sold that to get the rev. a TiBook when they came out. Recently, I traded in my rev. a TiBook to get a rev. c TiBook. An upgrade in more ways then one. I also always went with the fastest processor available at the time. I figured that I spend a few extra dollars now, to have a computer that will last longer, or that I will be happier with longer then if I went with the low end.

I am very demanding of my hardware, in that I expect it to function perfectly every time. I am the same with software, so much so, that if the first time or two that I use an application and it fails to perform, I dump it. Especially if I have another application that does the same thing, and runs the way I need it to.

I treat my TiBook as an investement, and don't toss it around or treat it rough. I am sure that you can, I just don't want the down time if it has to go out for repairs.

One of the improvements between the rev. a and c TiBooks is how the keyboard feels. I am sure you have noticed the springy/spongy feel you get from around the arrow keys... That is gone with the rev. c.

ponyboy

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
SLC UT/Italy
I am with you all the way, on the power books, and am just hoping to see a superdrive before I upgrade, I might be waiting a while but my current comp is serving my needs now. And Italian bus drivers aside I try not to throw my book around too much, I too need it to function, but desipte my lack of attention it has never let me down once except that annoying Rev A shut off issue that I am sure they fixed as well

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Re: What?

There was a REV A shut off issue?
ANd whta was it? Did it just shut off without warning>?

Actually i'm interested as well. I have a rev a 500, and haven't noticed any problems with the shut off. This problem (whatever it is) will probably be fixed by now though.

ponyboy

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
SLC UT/Italy
the shut off thig was a problem with the battery connection and I believe it affected the first lot of rev A TiBooks. If you hold the powerbook a certain way it flexes just enough to where the battery disconnects and the computer will just shut off. It can be avoided by holding the power book with two hands when moving it while it is running, I believe apple also was accepting powerbooks with this problem for repair, some sort of battery shim? But I never got around to sending mine in so now I just avoid holding it in the way that will cause this shutdown. It still happens once in a while and is annoying, but this problem is limited to the first powerbooks shipped so most people didnt ever notice it. I was one of the unlucky few who ordered the day of the keynote, early adoption has its drawbacks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.