Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I just went to reset DH's password on the iBook - my daughter had been using it late this afternoon - but i gathered she shut it down. It was plugged in - but VERY HOT on the bottom. The battery button showed full, but the computer would NOT turn on while not plugged in. I took the battery out for a few minutes, struggled to get it back in, then plugged it in - and when i opened the lid it booted up all on it's own.

OK.... so it booted under power, i changed his password and unplugged it and it is working.

But WHY was it HOT?????

Could it have overheated and shut itself down??

DD is in bed, so i can't verify she had shut it down when she was done - she's 11, who knows what the heck she did :D

But, i'd appreciate any input - i so can NOT afford to have it die :(

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
BTDT - it was, this is the new one.

It was hottest on the side opposite of the battery, but the whole bottom case was overly hot. The keyboard was quite warm too.

OH, and since I forgot - it's a 12" G4 800mhz and I just on Monday upped the ram with a 512mg chip.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Hmm, I'm not really experienced at all... maybe someone else has other ideas?

Could be partially the added RAM? When I added extra RAM to my 12"PB it ran significantly warmer to the touch.

Or if she used it on a bed, blanket, couch, lap, etc. she might have been inadvertently blocking the vents that allow the 'book to cool properly.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Well, this was 9:15 or so when i picked it up from the table. She hadnt' been on it since about 4pm? So it had been sitting there in whatever state it was in since then.

LOL, i'd go wake her up and ask her - but she's grumpy and needs the sleep. So the first thing will be - did you shut it down or what.

It's running fine apparently on battery right now - he's happy and didn't throw me off the desktop yet :D

Thanks for trying - and anyone has any other suggestions i'll take them.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
OK, so DD says that when she was done yesterday afternoon, she logged out, then put the computer to sleep - and shut the lid. So even she says she put it to sleep - it would have done that even with the lid being closed.

So that is the state it was in when i picked it up and it was HOT on the bottom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.