iBook with external display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JarinS1, Oct 22, 2004.

1. JarinS1 macrumors member

I have narrowed it down to a 12" PowerBook or iBook (possibly 14"). I have heard that the PowerBook can take on the resolution of an external display and that the iBook cannot accomodate this. A couple of questions:

1) how would a Powerbook look on a 42" TV screen w/ S-Video and DVI.

2) how would an iBook look on any external display (preferably widescreen)? Would the "real estate" be the same?

Thanks.

JS

2. russed macrumors 68000

russed

well the powerbook nor the ibook would not be able to go on anything bigger than the 23" apple display as i know for the 30" it is only compatible with the powermac and some nvidia graphics card that costs a few hundred $'s. supposedly only the powerbook is able to have a second screen and the ibook is only meant to be able to mirror the main screen but there is a hack for this.

i think any display would look rather stupid on a 40some" display and you would have to sit about 10 metres away from it to be able to use it!

3. Studawg7 macrumors regular

you can hook up the ibook to a monitor but its true that the resolution is the same as the ibook itself which is fine for a 19 inch or so monitor. you can use a projector as well, it works fine in those conditions.