Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
Hy everyone.

I am having a computer buying dilemna on my hands.
As some of you might know I bought a dual 2.0 G5, 2 months ago and it has been a bliss ever since. But I started teaching art classes three weeks ago and I might need a laptop to do some more interactive lessons.

The thing is I used to be a free lance graphic designer and I still do some heavy creative suite work from time to time. Do you think I should sell the G5 and get a maxed out 14 inch ibook or if I should keep the G5 and get a stock 12 inch ibook that I use only for my classes.
I have the money to buy an additional computer but givng away 4 k for computers in 2 months is a lot to me! :rolleyes:

What would you do?

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
Sounds like a Powerbook would be better than an iBook if you want to do heavy CS work with it. Only you can decide if you want two computers or just one. If I was you and I had the money I'd get a cheap iBook and keep the G5 for the heavy stuff.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Buy a 12" iBook now. When the G5 PowerBook comes out, sell your G5 PM and iBook, then buy a 15" G5 PowerBook and a 23" Cinema Display.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
If you're really thinking about trading it in for an iBook.... DON'T
Seriously, trading it in for a 15" Powerbook would be sth. a bit different but since you said you only do heavy graphics work every now and then you should keep the G5 for that and get yourself a 12" iBook.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
You Powermac would be MUCH faster than a maxed out iBook 14".
(Were talking from atleast 2x-4x faster depending on the task)
The Performance difference between a 12-inch iBook(with say 768mb ram) vs a maxed out 14-incher isn't that big.. Both the iBooks has only 1024x768 resolution, which is too small for a designer. With the palettes visible in photoshop, you won't have much space left.

If you want to go portable only, i would go for a 15 (or 17) incher and an external display at home.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
If you sell your powermac you better be able to afford a powerbook. thats all i will say.

belair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
Thanks for the input

I think you are right. Now that I got used to the power of the G5 I guess it will be hard to go back. Plus if I buy a powerbook and ad some Ram it's going to be expensive as well.
Mmmhh. The 12 inch is a no brainer i guess. Plus if I ever want to sell it, it should be fairly easy to find someone fast.

Damn conscience. All this money for macs.
And there seems to be no real hint on when the new ibook comes out. Should be any week now. But as someone said earlier, if you need it now get it now!

My credit card is itching pretty bad. I am going to wait till tomorrow, maybe they announce the new one tomorrow?

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
belair said:
Thanks for the input

I think you are right. Now that I got used to the power of the G5 I guess it will be hard to go back. Plus if I buy a powerbook and ad some Ram it's going to be expensive as well.
Mmmhh. The 12 inch is a no brainer i guess. Plus if I ever want to sell it, it should be fairly easy to find someone fast.

Damn conscience. All this money for macs.
And there seems to be no real hint on when the new ibook comes out. Should be any week now. But as someone said earlier, if you need it now get it now!

My credit card is itching pretty bad. I am going to wait till tomorrow, maybe they announce the new one tomorrow?

They will not, in they won't or will never :D, bring out updated iBooks that closely match the Powerbooks unless the Powerbooks are updated first or are already considerably better.
So go ahead and get it.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
i think you made the right choise to go for a 12" iBook. . . if you were to downgrade from a PM to a 14" iBook you would be very disapointed. id buy the 12" iBook for the few portable things you have. then keep that and the PM until G5 PB comes out (which may be a while from now) then sell both and get a good G5 PB. but until there is a G5 PB stick with the G5 PM!

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Diatribe said:
They will not, in they won't or will never :D, bring out updated iBooks that closely match the Powerbooks unless the Powerbooks are updated first or are already considerably better.
So go ahead and get it.

Unfortunatley the Powerbooks have nowhere to go in terms of processor upgrades in the near future, which means Apples ENTIRE consumer line up is stuck where it is, and probably will be for months - they cant upgrade the iBook/eMac because they will end up too close or better in spec than the Powerbooks. Not good for Apple.

belair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
Are the powerbooks stuck?
I tought the dualcores were getting along quite well. If they could replace the powerbooks then the 1.5 ghz moto would make its way into the ibook. That would have been really a neat little machine.

I think I am going by the store tomorrow. Plus if I get the edu discount it should not be too expensive. ;) . I can feel buyers guilt already!

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
The buyers guide says not to buy - end of product cycle (iBook). Of course it could be a while before any update comes as its only an average of days between update cycles. As i've said, not sure what they could upgrade without getting closer to the powerbook specs.

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Why not see if you can get a cheaper older iBook on eBay? Something in the 500-700 price range?

You already have a super fast Powermac how much do you really need a new iBook?

course I am one to talk considering I want a 17" PBook and Powermac :rolleyes:

Mike

belair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
I checked ebay germany out and it has not got much to offer.
The problem is that most of the american ibooks I could buy don't ship to Europe. And in Europe the supply is real lame. All i could find was a new 12 inch 1ghz for 750 euros wich is cheap but with 3 more days to go and already 25 offers made, this one is going to go 50 euros cheaper than retail price.
I will have another look around ebay.com, maybe some companys ship to europe…

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
if your a teacher you should qualify for the educational discount at least, so thats a plus, as others have said i think an last gen or current gen iBook is probably your best bet, or i would look on ebay for an older revision of the AL 12" powerbook, you might be able to find a deal there, or even apple's refurb page might have a couple of deals

good luck and i wish i had two macs :p

belair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
Did it!

Hy everybody!
I just wanted to thank everybody for their input.
Today I did it I went to the store and bought myself a 12 inch ibook and so far all I can say is that this little thing rocks. I am typing this on it right now.
I love the look of the ibooks (prefer it to the powerbooks actually). Fianlly I can take my applehood along with me. :D
The installation went really smooth and I did a transfer of all my aps from the G5. The HD is way too small to copy all private and work files. And I know! So after uploading my apps I could start working immediately. Internet was up in a second and all the apps seem to work. I will have to download all the Panther updates but I could not wait and I had to post you guys a line. :)

I will take some pics and put them up here. Not that you would not know what an ibook looks like but hey, I really need to share the fun.

belair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
the whole family

Here you can see my new setup. G5, ibook and my b&w G3 in the back that I don't use anymore. Damn I am a mac head there is no dening it now.

hmmmpf :eek:

Attachments

• imac2.jpg
    imac2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 106
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.