Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
I know that the G3 Powerbook had the ability to work with the lid closed, but the only thing Apple's FAQ and discussions says about the iBook, is that "the Dual USB iBook SHOULDN'T be used with the lid closed". It doesn't say it's not possible. So, CAN you use the iBook with the lid closed? I want to use it to play games on my external monitor, and would just like to have the computer closed.

Thanks.

Regards,
Gus

FatTony

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
If the documentation for your model says that it shouldn't be used with the lid closed, I would heed that resommendation. I think some Mac laptops use the keyboard as a kind of exhaust for heat to escape. Closing the lid prevents that and could casue the laptop to overheat. I'm not sure if this is the case for every Power/ibook, or even your particualr model, but I would still think twice about ignoring the documentation.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
I also would recommend you don't try to use it with the lid closed. It probably will overheay, especially if your playing games!

The solutions is turning down the screen brightness to a minimum and setting the computer aside on your desk...

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
iWaffleIron...

Make sure you put some Waffle batter in before you try that with the iBook Dual USB. It might protect your display from being burned while cooking you breakfast. Heat from under the keyboard and inside the main processor housing builds with a closed case in the DUAL USB model.

Click here to read more, but you've probably seen similar information in the FAQ's.

FatTony makes a good point about newer portables. The problem is solved in many newer models, but always be sure to veryify your model can be used with lid closed with Apple to avoid an expensive fix.

:cool:

vincentmeanie

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2002
Lies all lies.....

as many people who have had the sleep function fail on there dual usb ibooks can attest to while the unit does get warm, does doesnt really approach 'hot'. The misconception about the dual usb having keyboard vents for heat is wrong as well, as this was only true with the clamshell ibook, and in addition the ibooks have these nifty loud ass things called fans that tend to kick on when it does get a little too warm.

The main reason the apple document and some more informed people will reccomend not using your ibook while its closed has more to do with mobility and the hard drive.

See some people would like to use the ibook much like a ipod and run with headphones and the lid closed, this created a big problem for the hard drive which was never designed to seek files on the platter while in motion, which can cause damage or even catastrophic falure of the drive due to the heads not being parked while in motion.

but you say the ipod has a harddrive in it, how does it work? well I would guess on top of using a drive that can handle the jolts and vibration (which partially explains ipod costs) the ipod uses the onboard memory to keep the hard drive seeking at a minimum.

so can you run it closed? probably.. its a hardware switch that triggers soft ware to sleep it, and in some cases it doesnt sleep automaticly, but if its on a table not moving you do run the risk of head 'possibly' damaging your LCD, but really, wont your keyboard do more damage? and why dont you have a screen protector in there anyway?

the solution is of course just to put a pencil in there and almost close it, or whatever

Gus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Thank you for your comments. I do know that you can just turn down the brightness, etc., it's just that my anal retentive self would like to have it closed, like on my recently departed Pismo.

Once again though, thank you for the comments!

Regards,
Gus

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by vincentmeanie
Lies all lies.....

as many people who have had the sleep function fail on there dual usb ibooks can attest to while the unit does get warm, does doesnt really approach 'hot'. The misconception about the dual usb having keyboard vents for heat is wrong as well, as this was only true with the clamshell ibook, and in addition the ibooks have these nifty loud ass things called fans that tend to kick on when it does get a little too warm.

The main reason the apple document and some more informed people will reccomend not using your ibook while its closed has more to do with mobility and the hard drive.

See some people would like to use the ibook much like a ipod and run with headphones and the lid closed, this created a big problem for the hard drive which was never designed to seek files on the platter while in motion, which can cause damage or even catastrophic falure of the drive due to the heads not being parked while in motion.

but you say the ipod has a harddrive in it, how does it work? well I would guess on top of using a drive that can handle the jolts and vibration (which partially explains ipod costs) the ipod uses the onboard memory to keep the hard drive seeking at a minimum.

so can you run it closed? probably.. its a hardware switch that triggers soft ware to sleep it, and in some cases it doesnt sleep automaticly, but if its on a table not moving you do run the risk of head 'possibly' damaging your LCD, but really, wont your keyboard do more damage? and why dont you have a screen protector in there anyway?

the solution is of course just to put a pencil in there and almost close it, or whatever
Before you go accusing people of lies, try and read up on the message boards about this topic.

I can tell you that the Dual-USB iBook does get extremely hot when you run it with the lid down. Before OS X 10.0.4, you could close the lid and still use the iBook as long as you had a keyboard/mouse or the AV/VGA cable plugged in.

Anyways, I played a DVD with the lid down (connected to my TV), and the thing was toasty hot when I opened the lid. That was the last time that I would do something like that.

Smartly, Apple put in a software fix for that in 10.0.4 (and 9.2.1 - I think).

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
True Lies...

Originally posted by vincentmeanie
Lies all lies.....

Interesting solution vincentmeanie...is the pencil kindling or to calculate and write with after the iBook melts ;) ... but if vincentmeanies solution is to be tried, there are little digital thermostats (to detect room and weather temperature) available at the bigbox stores that have corded sensors on the end - cost: around 10 bucks. The corded end is designed to go outside, but I see no reason why it couldn't be put in a nearly closed iBook for careful monitoring. I still don't suggest running a Dual USB iBook closed - if for no other reason than Apple makes it clear you should not. The thermostat might be a cheap way to ensure the safe temperatures if you absolutely cannot control your need to try something that is warned against.

Keep in mind, that the damage doesn't have to occur on one occassion, but can, like your in-law's thanksgiving roast, cook over a long period of time. It is not necessary to have vents inside the iBook, heat can radiate through the keyboard, and even the case itself. Over time, be sure to baste liberally, and serve with stuffing, vegatables, and cranberries.

Click here to see a more formal non-Apple warning about heat in Dual USB iBook models that may be more trusworthy.

:cool:

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Close the lid and live on the wild side. If a TiBook can run with the lid closed, so can an iBook. If you're worried about heat buildup, tip it vertically so that the ports are facing you, the lid latch is on the bottom, and the screen hinge is on the top. It will probably even run cooler this way than it will with the lid open, since the heat will just rise right out of it. I'm 100% confident this would work just fine. I'll bet Apple's advice not to do this stems more from their wanting you to buy a TiBook instead than any heat concerns. If they really didn't want you to run with the lid closed, they would have designed this feature out of the machine like they did monitor spanning.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
theres only one problem with this running an ibook with the lid closed thing...won't it go to sleep??? i was under the impression that no matter what you do the ibook will go to sleep when you close the lid...is there a way to fix that or what??

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by alex_ant
I'll bet Apple's advice not to do this stems more from their wanting you to buy a TiBook instead than any heat concerns. If they really didn't want you to run with the lid closed, they would have designed this feature out of the machine like they did monitor spanning.
Alex,

While I wouldn't put it passed Apple to reduce functionality of the iBook on purpose, this is not the case here.

The iBook/lid closing/heat issue is very real. The Dual-USB iBooks did have the ability to stay "awake" with the lid down as long as you had a keyboard, the AV cable, or the VGA cable plugged in and operational. This was back with OS X 10.0.3 and I think 9.2.1. In subsequent updates of the system, this functionality was removed, but because of the heat issue (try playing a DVD with the iBook's screen closed and you'll see how hot it can get).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.