ibook with PC desktop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by shanequin, Apr 13, 2004.

1. shanequin macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Next fall I'll be going to med school. I have decided that I definetly want a laptop because of the portability. I think I was gonna go for the 14"/933, max out the ram get the 60GB hard drive plus the airport, with my student discount it would be around 1500, which is fine for me. But I'm having a hard time picturing myself without a desktop. Do you think that its possible that this config will satisfy all of my needs (email, surfing, lecture notes/videos, music, burning occasional CDs) and I wont need a desktop. Or should I maybe think about getting a cheap desktop from dell or something, just to have a desktop. And if that's the way to go, is it unheard of to have a pc desktop and mac laptop. Thanks for your help.

Shane

2. haiggy macrumors 65816

I bought a PC Desktop and an Apple laptop so its not uncommon. I would suggest you get a cheap PC that will run any games you want to play (if there are any) or just for compatability reasons and you'll have the best of both worlds. Good luck with your mac :)

3. rstroud macrumors regular

Word...I've got a desktop and am looking for an iBook, it would be my first mac.
    If I get one, I'll definately still keep my pc for gaming...and other heavy duty tasks. Now, to find that iBook....

4. laserbeahm macrumors member

You could always get the iBook and hook it up to a monitor when you get home. That would kind of be like having a desktop.

5. five04 macrumors member

i have a pc desktop i built. mine's nowhere near weak though. it's got a p4 2.53ghz cpu, a gig of ddr333, and 240 total gigs of storage space. i do most of my work on it. i also have an ibook g4 12" which i use to take to my classes and connect to the wireless network on campus (nc state). my ibook serves all the needs i have for a portable system. i love the mac os and i wish i could afford a g5 tower, but until then, i'll continue to use my desktop pc. both my ibook and pc work great together so i'm happy with the setup.

6. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

sounds like the ibook will definately do everything you want it to
    if you still have some doubts that the ibook will be able to do everything you want, rather than buy a desktop why not just spend the extra money and get a nicer laptop G5's might be out by then

7. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

I think the 14" iBook 933 will definately do what you need it to do,I use mine for everything(Photoshop,Macromedia Studio MX,Cinema 4D,Final Cut)...Replaced my desktop.

8. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Like others have posted, I have an iBook and a Dell desktop. The iBook will spoil you, but its great having both for games and compatability. The iBook is a great choice and you won't be sorry you got it.

lasuther

9. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

gee, so many posts about getting a PC for games... he's going med school, don't think there'll be much time for gaming... :( ;) :p :D

10. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

I thought that I would want to keep my desktop around after recieving my iBook... after it sitting there taking up space for a while I ebayed the old monster and used the cash to pick up an xbox and a bunch of games. Simply didn't need it...

11. jesuscandle macrumors regular

ibook only

yes, the ibook WILL do everything you want. Absolutely everything.

I don't think you need a second screen, but you can get a big monitor, keyboard and mouse for much less than a whole new desktop and have that to use at your physical desk.

You'll note that the only thing people have said you need a PC for is gaming.

Um...xbox.

Why spend 1000 bucks on a game machine, when you can spend 150?

12. haiggy macrumors 65816

I do that aswell and I have the screen spanning hack... it's awesome :)

By the way, if you do get that iBook, get a 933 MHz, it is not worth the extra cash for a 67 MHz increase with the same specs. Have fun.

13. 3-22 macrumors regular

Many games are only on the PC or you may prefer the greater picture qaulity and keyboard/mouse interface. $1000 is a bit high for an average game machine probably more like $300-500.

Anyway, besides games you may need a basic PC around for specific applications that are not yet ported to Mac. Keep in mind if med school will require any specialized software that may not work on a Mac or Mac/VirtualPC... (I can't imagine any, but I'm also not in med school)