Ibook With Virtual PC

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by brenton, Mar 30, 2005.

1. brenton macrumors member

hello, Could I use an Ibook with a Virtual pc to play games or would I need a powerbook.

Thanks

2. cubist macrumors 68020

You can certainly run virtual PC on an iBook. However, when you say "play games", the games you'll be able to play in virtual PC - on ANY platform, even a G5 - is very limited. There have been threads on this in the Gaming forum.

3. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

No. VPC isn't near fast enough to run games; however there are quite a few good game titles ported to the OS X platform.

4. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

Games . . . ah, yah . . . my iBook runs MineSweeper just fine in VPC.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Your iBook will run, natively, a number of games. That means no Virtual PC. But Doom 3... well... a G5 is a recommended processor, so I doubt you bought that iBook to game, right?

6. brenton thread starter macrumors member

I havent gotten the Ibook yet. Im deciding between that and a mac mini. If I get more money I will get an ibook.

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

DOS games run pretty good on a G5. Probably an iBook will done fine also. Once the rumored Virtual PC 8 gives you native graphics support with DirectX then a high-end Mac should be able to play mostly any game over 4 years ago as well as a PC of that time period. Emulation is very difficult process with only software. It is a miracle that it can run Windows XP.

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Hehe. Windows 2000 runs pretty nicely under VPC... but Win98 works much better. To get native speed, try Win3.1 or something.

WinXP is slower than anything you want to try. So don't.