iBook woes & my ordeal with Apple's insane policies... HELP

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by onlydroops, Oct 20, 2003.

1. onlydroops macrumors member

Aug 5, 2003
    We have a 700mhz iBook that we bought last summer with no Applecare. It is now out of warranty. A few weeks ago the logic board failed. We brought it into a local shop, quoting the repair for $410 from Apple. They sent it off to Apple.

The shop calls back a fews days later saying that the price to repair the iBook is going to be $700 because the ethernet port was broken off of the logic board.

Now, before we brought into the shop the ethernet port was working fine, so somewhere along the way (maybe during shipping) the ethernet port was damaged. Apple wants to charge an extra $300 to fix the logic board simply because the ethernet port was broken.

It is ridiculous for them to charge an extra $300 for something that would be fixed anyway by the $400 cost of replacing the logic board.

It seems like there is no cheap way to do this. I'm saving you all alot of the bullsh*t that I've been through with customer service and the local shop. Bottom line: My wife and I have been without the computer for over 2 weeks and we need it back but don't want to spend $500 to fix this.

Does anyone know of a place that will fix the logix board? I've called MacMedics and they will do it for $500. Which is our best solution right now.

We're tempted to just buy a new iBook.
  2. jtown macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2003
    Re: iBook woes & my ordeal with Apple's insane policies... HELP

Boy. That'll really tell Apple a thing or two. :rolleyes: If you're unhappy with Apple's service, don't reward them by giving them even more money.

Don't just roll over and take it. If they were really going to replace the logic board, then it is absurd for them to charge you extra because more than one thing is wrong with it.

Also, if a part was broken because the shop failed to package it properly, the responsibility for that damage falls squarely on the shop. Absolutely no question about it.

You need to either get hold of Apple and tell them that you won't tolerate their attempt to double-dip on the repair fees or tell the shop that they'll be eating the $300 because they caused the additional damage. Then the shop can take it up with Apple.
  3. onlydroops thread starter macrumors member

Aug 5, 2003
    I've spoken with several customer care representatives that I've been very, very demanding with. NONE of them will eat the $300 cost. I said in my original post that I'd spare the long story.

The shop won't accept responsibility, which is absurd. I'm going there in person this weekend. I wish it was closer.

I know what you mean about giving Apple what they want by buying another iBook. Setting Apple's benefit aside, do you see why it might make more sense to buy a refurbed iBook for $800 that is more powerful than the one we could have repaired for $700?
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Well, if the ethernet port broke because of the shop's poor care of your machine, then its definitely their fault.

The reason you got quoted $400, then $700 is because the ethernet port is attached to your logic board. If it breaks, they have to replace the entire logic board.

So maybe, just maybe, the $400 was the fee for fixing the logic board, but when they realized that the ethernet port was broken as well (not your fault, but they don't know that), they came to the conclusion that they had to replace, not fix, the entire logic board since you can't replace the ethernet port without replacing the entire logic board.

Anyway, explain the situation to one of the higher-ups in the Applecare hierarchy. If that fails, then talk to his superior. Someone has to help you if the ethernet port really isn't your fault.

Okay, I'm done....
  5. onlydroops thread starter macrumors member

Aug 5, 2003
    The $400 was to replace the logic board, not to fix it.
  6. jtown macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2003
    I stand by my opinion that you should not give Apple more money at this point. If you must have another Apple, buy a used one off ebay. That way you can get the machine you need without putting additional money in Apple's pocket. Make sure you write to Apple and tell them what you've done and why you've done it or the act won't make the slightest impression.

That still leaves you with the broken computer, tho. If you'd rather fix the computer, I suggest you get it done, pay the $700, and collect as much evidence as possible that proves the ethernet port was not broken until after you gave it to your local shop. The most crucial piece of evidence will be your old logic board. Apple will surely not give it back after replacing it with a new one but you may be able to get them to give you a picture of it showing the damaged port. It may take some social engineering but persistance may pay off. Contact them directly and say you're having trouble with your jerk of an insurance adjustor. "He won't cut a check until I show him the damaged part. A picture will do."

Hopefully, that will show a port so obviously damaged that there's no way your local shop could have missed it during their diagnosis.

The next most important piece is the paperwork showing the original diagnosis and repair quote. If you've got a picture showing a mangled ethernet port and a diagnosis that makes no mention of it, that's about as close as a slam-dunk as you can get.

Next best would be to have a collection of pictures of ibook logic boards with damaged ethernet ports which can be used as a representative sample showing that a damaged ethernet port on a logic board is so obvious that it cannot be missed.

You need to prove that the damage could not have existed when you relinquished the item to the care of the shop. Any damage inflicted after that point is the shop's responsibility.

It'll take one to three months depending on where you are in relation to the shop but you should have a pretty good case. Even if you lose, you'll still have your machine in working order, probably for less than the cost of replacing it and you'll have a good chance of getting it back in working order for a net cost of about half the cost of replacing it.

Nothing is ever certain until it's done but I'd rather go with the chance of spending less money than the certainty of paying more. Especially when the total cash outlay comes out about the same in the worst-case scenario.

Another option is to repair it yourself. Watch ebay for a "parts machine" on ebay with a working logic board (one with a cracked screen, for example). The trouble with this option is that you have no control over when a suitable machine will become available and you probably won't be the only one looking for a logic board. There's no telling when that option will pay off.
  7. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    I posted this in the "Apple told me all eMacs defective" thread but it makes sense here as well. If you didn't get extended warranty and the 12months is up, there is little you can do except foot the original bill (even though many ibooks seem strangely to have this logic board problem, inherent defect.) About the extra charge I would give them a piece of my mind.

Lately many have had poor after sales service from apple, no problems on the other side of the fence in the Free world.
    Good Luck;)

also demand that you be given the old logic board back. Or for a new one to be sent to you so you can replace it yourself. That will avoid the LAN port problem:p