Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
Good evening fellow MR members!

I don't post very often, but I do visit the site often and read the forums extensively. I've run into a problem today after installing the QT update...not sure whether it's related to that or not, however.

Anyway, I get the wonderful startup screen with the progress bar...the bar makes it all the way to the end and then just sits there....the pulsing/flowing effect still goes on, and I have a mouse pointer, but nothing happens. :confused: To make things even more fun, my internal Combo drive is defunct, so I have to use an external, which works fine after I figured out how to boot to it.

So here's what I've tried. I'm looking to MR's collective expertise to see if there's something I've missed.

Repair permissions - nothing detected
Repair disk - nothing detected.
Zap PRAM (why not?)
Zap PMU (again, why not?)
edit: ran fsck too, which was fine until I typed reboot and then the last 2 lines were:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.1.0: Tue May 10 18:15:08 PDT 2005; root:xnu-792.1.5.obj-4/RELEASE_PPC
panic: We are hanging here...

Interesting...grrr.

Additionally, it won't let me reinstall Tiger without a clean wipe since I've got 10.4.1 installed. I have access to another Mac so I can transfer my files to that if necessary...I'm just wondering if there's anything else I've forgotten.

Thanks in advance for your help! :D

-Toppa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.