iBook Won't Boot After QT Upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Toppa G's, May 31, 2005.

1. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2003
    The exurbs, MN
    Good evening fellow MR members!

I don't post very often, but I do visit the site often and read the forums extensively. I've run into a problem today after installing the QT update...not sure whether it's related to that or not, however.

Anyway, I get the wonderful startup screen with the progress bar...the bar makes it all the way to the end and then just sits there....the pulsing/flowing effect still goes on, and I have a mouse pointer, but nothing happens. :confused: To make things even more fun, my internal Combo drive is defunct, so I have to use an external, which works fine after I figured out how to boot to it.

So here's what I've tried. I'm looking to MR's collective expertise to see if there's something I've missed.

Repair permissions - nothing detected
    Repair disk - nothing detected.
    Zap PRAM (why not?)
    Zap PMU (again, why not?)
    edit: ran fsck too, which was fine until I typed reboot and then the last 2 lines were:
    Darwin Kernel Version 8.1.0: Tue May 10 18:15:08 PDT 2005; root:xnu-792.1.5.obj-4/RELEASE_PPC
    panic: We are hanging here...

Additionally, it won't let me reinstall Tiger without a clean wipe since I've got 10.4.1 installed. I have access to another Mac so I can transfer my files to that if necessary...I'm just wondering if there's anything else I've forgotten.

Thanks in advance for your help! :D

2. Toppa G's thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2003
    The exurbs, MN
    Any ideas? I've been busy this morning so haven't had a chance to tinker anymore...hoping someone comes thorugh with a fix :D