iBook won't boot past gray screen

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jolo, Dec 30, 2010.

1. jolo, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010

macrumors newbie

Dec 30, 2010
    I'm trying to resurrect an iBook (translucent white case, 14.1 LCD) that was long neglected, so not sure on its past service history. The following do NOT work:
    - won't boot up past the gray screen with Apple logo and spinning gear icon (just hangs)
    - same problem if I try to boot from install DVD ("c" or using "option" then selecting DVD)
    - same problem with safe boot with "shift"
    - reset PRAM

It will connect via firewire target disk mode to another computer, and I used that to completely wipe the disk and do a clean install of 10.5.

When I tried booting into single-user mode (cmd-s), it fills about 2/3 of the screen with normal-looking messages, but then hangs after this (no keyboard response):
    Got boot device = IOService... [various other stuff]
    BSD root: disk0s6, major 14, minor 5

I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions? The machine is old enough that it's probably not worth the diagnostic fee of the local Apple shop. Since I can't get it to boot, I can't even run TechTools.

2. 4JNA, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010

macrumors 68000

Feb 8, 2006
    looking for trash files
    sounds like an 'ice book' g3 system, where the outer shell is a clear layer over the white insides. if that's the case, the problem is that 10.5 isn't supported on any g3 systems.

try 10.4 or 10.3 and i bet it works fine. best of luck.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 30, 2010

Argh, you're right. In fact, after wasting a whole week trying everything else, and finally giving up and posting that question, I went away to a long lunch. I was sitting there chewing on my sandwich, when suddenly I realized, that computer is probably so old that it won't run 10.5. Sigh, came back and popped in 10.3, now it's working fine.

Next time, I'll ask sooner. :)

4. macrumors 65816

Dec 18, 2010

Glad it works.
  5. macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2009
    I'm having the exact same problem! Can anyone tell me where i can download a version of 10.3?