ibook wont boot! tells me to shutdown!! HELP!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bonsaichop, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Bonsaichop macrumors member

Nov 7, 2004
    Wollongong, Australia
    Ugh.. this is intollerable.

A few weeks ago, one of my drives that had quite a few of our family videos on it started to give the ghost (head collision errors) With no space on my pc due to re-encoding I backed it up on the 60gig hdd on my ibook.

Now for a while my ibook has started to get a lil chuggy, even with daily maintenence it really wasnt the ibook it used to be. A mac friend of mine suggested I use norton System works. Disk doctor the drive, then speed disk it. Personally I never even knew norton was available on mac but off i went and purchased it.

Disk Doctor said there were about 3400 errors, so they were all fixed. Then I started with speedisk. However since I work i thought, "i'll leave it at home defragging and by the time i come back it'll be done.

Well well.. little did i realise taht we had a power outage, subsequently my ibook (because it was running off the norton boot cd) didn't goto sleep or shutdown, it jsut turned off when it ran outta juice.

So I came back home, turned it on and the first thing I got was the message or somethign like "Your ibook has encountered a serious error press the power button for 8 seconds to shutdown".

Odd.. i thought, so I booted it up again adn teh same thing ahppened.

and again....

Next I booted off the norton CD ran disk doctor and it said that it could not repair the problem with the hdd.

Now i'm starting to get worried....

I've put my ear against the drive but it wasnt making any head collision errors whatsoever.

Next I tried to boot from my 10.3 installer cd. It booted ok, ran disk utility, no errors but it would not let me mount the drive. I tried plugging in an external firewire drive so taht I could install osx on there but it said that it was not bootable???

Quite frankly I'm happy to format the drive and start from scratch except for the 300 odd hours of family home movies stuck on my drive?!?!?!?!?

Is there any way I can get a OSX boot cd that will let me mount the drive or something so that I can quickly transfer the drive contents to another drive? Or does anyone know where there is a FLUET set of instructions on how to boot from a firewire drive?? I can onyl find bits and peices on the net :(

Thanks for your help!
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    If you have another Mac with enough room, hook them together with firewire cable (such as the wire that comes with an iSite). Then on the iBook, hold down T during boot for Target mode, which just turns your iBook into a external firewire harddrive that can be accessed by the other Mac. I think you can also use a PC too. Transfer files you want to save, then reformat that drive and put a fresh install of OS X on there.