iBook won't boot with Airport card

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by TheJ, Oct 22, 2002.

1. TheJ macrumors newbie

Hey people, just got my new iBook 700MHz yesterday, the first Mac i've ever bought.

I ordered an Airport card to go along with it, and after installing the card the computer won't boot at all. No startup sound, no nothing. Computer boots fine without the Airport card installed.

I called Apple support, and I'm sending it in for service :mad: , but before I do, has anyone else experienced this? Any fixes?

Thanks...

Also, I searched Apple's support DB and the only thing I could come up with is that the card might not be upside down (definately isn't), or not pushed in all the way (also not the case).

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Question:

Is it set to default OS X boot?

I seem to recall that there is a neccessary update to the Airport Firmware before it will work with Jag. Often Firmware updates of this kind can only be executed by booting from OS 9.2 and running the System Updater or going to Apple's support site for the patch.

Please: What OS's do you have installed and have you run any updates yet?

Whoops! that's 2 questions... oh well.;) :D

3. TheJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

Currently I have OSX 10.1.5 and 9.2.2 installed, with OS X as the boot OS.

I have run all the Software Updates, my system is up to date.

4. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

I upgraded my ibook 700 with an airport card to jag and I didn't have any problems at all.

5. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Ick.

Yep. I'd say you have either a dead card or a dead socket. Bummer. Did you get an Apple Care plan with that iBook? If you did you could have a tech come to you and test it, provided Apple can find a Tech within 50 miles of you.

Macstudent: Thanx for the comment. I was thinking that older Airport cards that had been sitting on a reseller's shelf might need an upgrade, I figured new ones acquired through Apple would be fine.;)

6. TheJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again mischief.

It's gonna suck having to send this thing back so soon after getting it... Thanks for your help though.

No Apple care, just the standard one year warranty.