ibook wont shut down properly

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by megaultramillso, Apr 6, 2005.

1. megaultramillso macrumors newbie

Hi all, just wondered if you could help me with this weird problem I have. I have a 14" ibook and love it to bits - only problem is, whenever I try to shut it down, it often turns itself back on. I make sure I have closed all applications properly but still, the little sleep light comes on and it has been draining battery power all night. What's weirder is that it doesnt happen all the time, just sometimes. In fact, I'd say it more often than not doesn't shut down properly than does! Can anyone help me with this matter, it's becoming massively frustrating!

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

repair permissions and zap the PRAM (search forum for how to do this as i have forgoten ) and if they does not work reinstall your OS from the restore cd's

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've got a similar problem when I try to sleep my iBook and I'm quitting iTunes. If it hasn't quite properly (there's no window but there's still the little black arrow underneath it) then the dialogue box for sleeping/shutting down etc is useless - clicking on the buttons doesn't do anything so to sleep it I have to just shut the lid (which works).

I dunno if it's the same thing, but maybe some of your apps/processes aren't properly closed before trying to turn it off? It's admittedly a bit of a stab in the dark though...

4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

The only thing i can think of is repairing permissions.

5. megaultramillso thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i will try the pram zapping stuff thanks man. It certainly seems a weird problem to have on a new computer, but anyhows lets hope it can get itself sorted.