Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I finally figured out why my iBook wouldn't sleep unless I closed the lid or chose sleep from the menu.

It must have something to do with the Canon LiDE 30 that I have, because when I left the scanner plugged in and walked away for 5 minutes, the iBook went to sleep.

I'm running an iBook 500mhz Combo, 640MB RAM, 10.2.6 and Canon's latest scanner driver.

Any ideas?

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
Re: iBook won't sleep because of scanner

Originally posted by ftaok
I finally figured out why my iBook wouldn't sleep unless I closed the lid or chose sleep from the menu.
okay so youare saying that your ibook will not go to sleep

Originally posted by ftaok
It must have something to do with the Canon LiDE 30 that I have, because when I left the scanner plugged in and walked away for 5 minutes, the iBook went to sleep.
but now you say it WILL go to sleep?

i'm very confused.

Pete_Hoover

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
I believe he is saying that when the scanner is unplugged, the computer will go to sleep, but when it is plugged in, the computer won't. The scanner is the problem, he just doesn't know how to fix it.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT!

He's saying that the iBook won't go to sleep as set in the Energy Saver preferences. It only goes to sleep when he closes the lid or chooses it from the menu.

As to fixing the problem, I don't know.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Sorry for the ambiguious post

daveman got it right. My iBook won't sleep when the scanner is NOT plugged it unless I close the lid or choose 'sleep' from the menu.

With the scanner plugged in, my iBook will sleep if I leave it alone for 1 minute (that's what I have it set for in 'Energy Saver').

Because I don't have my scanner plugged in all the time, I'd like to figure out what is causing this behavior. I'm assuming that it's the scanner driver that keeps the system awake when the scanner isn't plugged in. Maybe it's continuously trying to find the scanner and it doesn't give up.

Has anyone heard of this kind of behavior?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.