IBOOK WON'T START

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mikk, Aug 26, 2005.

1. mikk macrumors newbie

Dear all

I have a G3 Ibook 600mhz running OSX 10.2.8. I've recently installed an Airport card and noticed a decrease in the computers performance. It began freezing more often. But I thought I was just imagining this as this Ibook isn't very powerful anyway...

Yesterday I started backing up my files to a brand new Western Digital USB2 160GB external hard drive. It worked ok but today the computer started freezing as I was moving files to the external hard drive. After a couple of failed attempts to restart the computer I managed to get it to run in Safe-mode. Not sure if I remember correctly but might have restarted the computer again normally and after a while it froze again and an error description text filled the screen saying: System failure: cpu=0; code:000000001 (Corrupt stack) etc.... the text filled the whole screen on top of Finder.

After this the Ibook refuses to start and only displays the ? and folder icon as I try to turn it on.

If any of you knows what might have caused this (hope it's not the external hard drive!) or what I should do, please let me know. Any advise or guess would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Mikko

2. shiny macrumors newbie

NO USB2 on your ibook

Could it have something to do with the fact that your particular iBook does not have USB2 ports. You really should have purchased a firewire external drive.

Other than that, I don't know what it could be.

3. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Agreed.

Backing up a HD via USB 1.0 is a bad, bad idea. The transfer speed is slow, and you may encounter errors, although i am not sure if that is the type of error that USB 1.0 would create.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

archive and install OS X, if it cant boot from the cd you have serious hardware failier

5. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Also, if you have the original system disks that came with your Mac you can also use Disk Utility to see if the HD is ok once you get booted.